People Who Don't Need Dogs, Part Ten

fureverywhere

beloved friend who will always be with us in spiri
The Owner- Immaculately dressed, he probably just left the office a few hours ago. Well groomed and seemingly intelligent. Maybe a Russian or Czech accent in there.

The Dog-Pure breed I'm sure. Gorgeous markings and toned body. I'm sure the owner paid a pretty penny for this wonderful dog. Probably papers and show grade appearance.

They were in my line and let's call the dog Gonzo. Pure bred male Boxer...he lunged at a dog coming out of the grooming studio, he lunged at a dog walking by the checkout...he scared the people in back of him in line a good six feet. He pulled his owner out the front door. Which lawsuit will make this otherwise bright gentleman realize he has more dog than he can safely handle?

Great Pup, I have a weakness for drooly big lips. I walked around the register and got his attention. I cupped his head in my hands and like Callie he licked me glasses to chin. Loving boy...but his owner needs what? Some good training of his own perhaps? You have a powerful dog and you NEED to be in control.

I would love to have a couple of dogs. We're in the perfect location - huge walled garden/yard and a beach out front to walk them on. But it will never happen because we take too many long trips and spur of the moment trips.

We have lost all three of ours in the past two years. We have just started to consider getting another,but are hesitant. It is really strange to come home and not be greeted by three slobbering monsters. They house stays ever so much cleaner, the vacuum cleaner does not have to be emptied halfway through a room, the floor doesn't have to have muddy prints mopped off it several times a day.

I miss my dogs!!!

I really understand. In life before dogs we would come home. Maybe one or two of the star loud mouths would go " MRRRooooowww". Translated to " Where the heck have you been? This food bowl has been empty for ten minutes. We should call animal protection. Can't you see us wasting away here? Whaddaya mean twenny pounds is big for a cat? We still gotta eat!".

After dogs-You see the heads in the window before you even pull in the driveway. Such happiness and excitement, it is the second coming, they ARE HERE. THE HUMANS ARE HERE!!!!! THEY CAME BACK TO US!!! As you come in the door you are almost swept off your feet and toppled. MOMMMMMMEEEEEE, DADDDDEEEEE, WE MISSED YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH...the Chinese place is a five minute drive

MOMMMMMMEEEEEE, DADDDDEEEEE, WE MISSED YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH...the Chinese place is a five minute drive

No Chinese delivery there in NJ?

But yea, dogs are the best.

fureverywhere said:
Which lawsuit will make this otherwise bright gentleman realize he has more dog than he can safely handle?

It's not so much the dog that needs training- dog owners are the weak link.

It's not so much the dog that needs training- dog owners are the weak link.

Exactly, and it's sad with this gentleman. He probably carefully researched proper breeders and breed specifications. Like I said judging from looks this must have been a very expensive dog. But it's not like buying a luxury car. It's a living creature with a mind of it's own. If you want a creature to show off how much money you can spend stick to a well trained toy breed...safer for you, safer for him, if he gets testy you can carry him with one hand. I've never seen anything like it. It was like a bad cartoon. I gave the man his receipt and his dog literally ripped him out the door.

We have lost all three of ours in the past two years. We have just started to consider getting another,but are hesitant. It is really strange to come home and not be greeted by three slobbering monsters. They house stays ever so much cleaner, the vacuum cleaner does not have to be emptied halfway through a room, the floor doesn't have to have muddy prints mopped off it several times a day.

I miss my dogs!!!

Get another dog (or two) from a rescue and save a life!!! There are so many good adult dogs (and puppies) at rescues just begging for a home. I always adopt adult dogs because I don't have the stamina for puppies any more, and I've found wonderful dogs. Most of the adults are housebroken and at least partly trained. Last year after my two other dogs passed from mostly old age, I adopted a 7-1/2 year old American Staffordshire terrier girl from the humane society. She is the PERFECT dog for me; she was housebroken when I found her and she is quiet and well behaved and a wonderful companion. She didn't even cost me anything because she was considered a senior at over 5, and I'm a senior, too. She had not been treated too well in her previous place, and she is just SO grateful to have a home, and I am SO grateful I found her. I love her to pieces, and she thinks I hung the moon.

Get out there and look at the Humane Society and the other rescues and I'll bet you can find the perfect dog for you! Seriously. There are also breed specific rescues if you want a particular breed. Most of the all breed and breed specific rescues place their dogs in foster homes, and do some training, etc., so you can talk to the fosters and get a definite report regarding temperament, behavior, etc.

Don't be sadly dogless!! You really need all that dog hair and slobber and muddy footprints and joy from a dog or two.

I hope we always have dogs but I do understand that a time may come when we can’t any more.
Oh boo. That will be a very sad day.
I live for our dogs . They mean everything to me
We haven't had a dog for over 10 yrs. now. I miss our boys every day, still. However, we realize having a dog at this point in our lives wouldn't be fair to the dog, not to mention, we are in a "no pets" building.

We're lucky. The neighbors across the road have a wonderful little beagle, and when they go to work, she comes over to our place and spends the day with us. We keep a pan of fresh water for her, and give her a daily "dog treat", and a belly rub, and she is happy for the day. In this hot weather, she has a favorite spot, under the deck, where she can stay relatively cool.

So, we get the pleasure of having a daily companion, and she gets the attention she deserves.....a win/win for everyone.

I try not to judge people with dogs who aren't properly socialized bc I don't if it's a rescue situation and the dog's behavior is a work in progress. Been there, done that, had the nasty comments from strangers to prove it. Sometimes dogs can have a sudden behavior change following a health crisis or traumatic event, too.

But if people are just blissfully unconcerned with their dog's issues then I feel terrible for the dog bc it's the dog who will suffer in the end. There are no bad dogs, just bad handlers.

We haven't had a dog for over 10 yrs. now. I miss our boys every day, still. However, we realize having a dog at this point in our lives wouldn't be fair to the dog, not to mention, we are in a "no pets" building.
Yes. I actually do understand it’s not ALL about us; the pets welfare has to be considered. Ideally it should be good for both but when it’s not, that would be a tough decision to have to make.

We are a younger, older couple. I’m 60 and my husband just turned 55. When my parents lost our family dogs they never got any more pets. That was back in 1992 when they retired.

While out walking today I remember that it was because they went down to Florida for 6 months out of the year. I’m not sure what the laws are for bringing dogs back and forth but they obviously didn’t want to do it. They were very responsible and loving pet owners. Something I admire about both of them.

I hope we have dogs for as long as we can. I knew an old guy from around here who walked his dogs until he died. One died just before he died and one died shortly after. Those dogs meant the world to him. That’s the way I’d wanna go

Yes. I actually do understand it’s not ALL about us; the pets welfare has to be considered. Ideally it should be good for both but when it’s not, that would be a tough decision to have to make.

We are a younger, older couple. I’m 60 and my husband just turned 55. When my parents lost our family dogs they never got any more pets. That was back in 1992 when they retired.

While out walking today I remember that it was because they went down to Florida for 6 months out of the year. I’m not sure what the laws are for bringing dogs back and forth but they obviously didn’t want to do it. They were very responsible and loving pet owners. Something I admire about both of them.

I hope we have dogs for as long as we can. I knew an old guy from around here who walked his dogs until he died. One died just before he died and one died shortly after. Those dogs meant the world to him. That’s the way I’d wanna go
If I hadn't been moving to Australia, I would definitely have had another dog, Keesha. I would still be in my house, not a condo..though there is a condo across from us that do allow pets. I like having a backyard for my dogs.

If I hadn't been moving to Australia, I would definitely have had another dog, Keesha. I would still be in my house, not a condo..though there is a condo across from us that do allow pets. I like having a backyard for my dogs.
Australia? Cool. How long did you live there? Did you work there? What type of work did you do? What influenced you do move there? Sorry for the inquisition😅

Australia? Cool. How long did you live there? Did you work there? What type of work did you do? What influenced you do move there? Sorry for the inquisition😅
I was back and forth for 10 yrs. The marriage unfortunately wasn't working out. I had wanted to open a business selling jewellery and handbags that I designed. I did make sterling & natural stone jewellery when I returned to Toronto. Never went the Etsy route, but maybe should have. That's all under the bridge now.

I was back and forth for 10 yrs. The marriage unfortunately wasn't working out. I had wanted to open a business selling jewellery and handbags that I designed. I did make sterling & natural stone jewellery when I returned to Toronto. Never went the Etsy route, but maybe should have. That's all under the bridge now.
Ohhh! You are I have some more in common. I made hair jewelry using sterling silver and natural stones. My favourite being turquoise, agate, tiger eye, rose quartz. I went the Etsy route for 2 years which paid for renovations ( supplies ) we needed for our back wall. Ten years is a long time.
I’m glad you came back here though and I guess you do too.

Ohhh! You are I have some more in common. I made hair jewelry using sterling silver and natural stones. My favourite being turquoise, agate, tiger eye, rose quartz. I went the Etsy route for 2 years which paid for renovations ( supplies ) we needed for our back wall. Ten years is a long time.
I’m glad you came back here though and I guess you do too.
I remember you made hair jewellery.

Yup, no regrets, though there were some really difficult times. I still love Australia and my Aussie family and friends.

There's a huge hoo-doo going on in our neighborhood between two hot-heads about dogs right now.

The first one posted a rant on the neighborhood Facebook page about a neighbor's two large dogs (German Shepherd and some kind of pittbull) being taken out unleashed and how his wife was terrified. The other hot-head, the owner of the dogs ranted back that his dogs were well-behaved and trained and the county leash law only applied to those who can't control their dogs (the law says ANY dogs must be leashed, actually).

There have been threats and insults and much chest-pounding between the hot-heads and other neighbors have chimed in, mostly against the dog owner. This has been going on for days. Hot Head #1 is threatening to sue the homeowners association for not stopping Hot Head #2 from letting his dogs go free. HH#2 is threatening to punch HH#1's lights out. The police have been called.

I did notice yesterday, though, that HH#2's wife was walking the dogs on leashes, so maybe things are calming down.

I love dogs, but I'm glad I don't own one right now.

Have had dogs for my family for many years.....honestly don't know what it would be like not having them..... don't want to go down that road anytime soon.
Had to say goodbye 3 times through my years, devastated me every time, as i'm sure, you all have had to do this as well.
Each of them had totally different personalities.
Have seen many people over the years, that had absolutely no right having them.
Sure, many say how cute, want one, then reality sets in, they forgot about the " Responsible Pet Parent "rule.
So, in the end, the unconditional love, admiration that these furbabies give from their hearts, are the ones that suffer......should not happen.
When looking for my house in town, just over 4 years ago, what my 3 guys needed was on top of the list.....the great place i found.....big backyard.....terrace doors off the kitchen, open the door, they're on the deck, down to a cement patio, and onto their grass yard, semi-private fence all around the back.
Everyone who think they want dogs, should go through an interview first.
I went through them for every little family member......6 times.

Back