Persephones

Persephone was a character in Greek mythology who was forced to spend six months in the underworld at the time it was late autumn to early spring. These fragrant cookies capture the sunny flavors that she may have missed while there.

1/2 cup sugar
finely grated zest of 2 lemons
finely grated zest of 1 orange
3/4 cup cool unsalted butter cut into pieces
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp. orange extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Put the sugar and fruit zests into a food processor and process for 30 seconds. Add butter an pulse several times until smooth. Add yolks, orange extract and vanilla. Process briefly and transfer to a large bowl. Sift remaining ingredients together and stir into the creamed mixture in 2 stages until evenly mixed. Knead dough several times in the bowl, then divide in half. Place each half on sheet of waxed paper and roll by hand into 1 1/2 inch thick logs. Seal logs in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (you can freeze one for later use by placing it in a plastic bag). Preheat oven to 350F. Cut 1/3 inch slices from the logs and lat them 1 inch apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until edges start to lightly brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.

Yum. Those sound great, Deb.
If you make some, I'd gladly try some! ;)

(Or I;d volunteer to help.... eat them. :LOL:

They have a great name, too! :)

Yum. Those sound great, Deb.
If you make some, I'd gladly try some! ;)

(Or I;d volunteer to help.... eat them. :LOL:

They have a great name, too! :)
ROFLMAO!

I remember as a young child, helping my mom make Christmas shortbread cookies, and every now and then when mom was busy pulling out a fresh baked sheet of cookies out of the oven, I'd sneak a little green or red maraschino cherry from the bowl!

My job was to apply the cherries to all of the cookies. Most cookies got a half slice of either a red or green maraschino cherry, but when cookie dough was nearing it's end, I'd double-up a green and red cherry on each cookie, and those were always my favourite!

That's a hard job, but it sounds like you were up to the task. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure your mother never noticed the missing bits. ;)
And that's why she'd give you the job, again. :)
It was a lot of fun, something I looked forward to each Christmas.

Cutting the cherries in half not only allowed the cherries to sit on top of the cookies better (flat side down), but it allowed my mom to stretch the cherries farther. :)

Back