Picayune Lagniappes or, A Little Bit of Nothings

November 2019. Week until Thanksgiving. I was going back and forth about what to do for Thanksgiving. It was almost 4 months since my sister died and 2 months since my mother died. Would Daddy feel better if it was similar to the previous years or would he feel better if I did something different? He was still asking me where mama was but it was becoming fewer and further between. He would call me by my sister's name sometimes but I obviously knew he was talking to me. He never mentioned my brother.

I decided to make a small Thanksgiving dinner for the two of us, my BIL and my nephew and invited the rest of the family over for dessert and coffee that evening. It worked out okay, except I had a hard time keeping my attention on cooking. My thoughts went to the carrot cake mama used to make. I would grate the carrots while she prepared the cake batter. When the grating was finished, I passed the carrots to mama while she finished the batter and put the cake in the oven. Mama began making the lemon icebox pies and I would begin making the banana pudding.

My sister loved banana pudding. One year I scorched the custard and had to start all over. But I made a small banana pudding with the scorched custard first. The second custard came out as it should so I made a large banana pudding. After dinner I dished up a large helping of the scorched banana pudding and gave it to my sister. The look on her face when she put the first spoonful in her mouth! She went ballistic! She was in her late 20's. Have you witnessed an adult throwing a temper tantrum? It's not a pretty sight. I was finally able to convince her that I had another perfectly good pudding in the kitchen and she calmed down. But she had her husband taste the pudding before she would eat it. That would become one of the stories that would be told at every holiday meal but it took a few years before my sister found the humor in it.

The dinner worked out well that Thanksgiving and Daddy was able to eat better with fewer people at the table. When there are too many people around he gets very confused and will eventually leave the room and go to a quieter place in the house. I was relieved when the day was over.

2020. Daddy and I had to reschedule several doctor appointments in 2019 so my New Year's resolution was to get us back on track.

I took Daddy for his appointments first then I started scheduling mine. I was able to see my cardiologist who set me up to have a heart Stent in April, after I had an iron infusion. Then Covid hit. My heart Stent had to be put on the back burner because I was considered high risk.

I was able to get the iron infusion but I would usually get a blood infusion when my iron got as low as it was then because the iron was needed to build up more red blood cells but the blood banks were already running low and my blood type is 0-negative. But at least I got the iron and was instructed to get my blood checked again in 2 months. The game plan was to get another iron infusion along with the blood infusion at that time. We were working under the assumption that Covid would run its course by then.

I've yet to get my blood tested.

Daddy's alzheimers has progressively gotten worse and it's really been tough on him and on me. Anyone who has cared for someone with alzheimers can vouch for the challenges involved. Daddy no longer has control of his bladder or his bowels and will not wear diapers so I'm constantly cleaning his bedroom and bathroom and the laundry is a nightmare. Thursday night he started passing out and fortunately didn't fall but passed out in his chair. His blood pressure had dropped and his pulse was real week. The ambulance took him to the ER.

Daddy has a UTI which at his age can be very hard to manage. He will be 91 in December. The doctor thinks he may have had a couple of small strokes as well. I'm spoon feeding him now and he has a physical therapist working with him 2-3 times a day to get him so he can walk with a walker.

They have put him on inpatient hospice and hopefully he'll be able to come home in a few days. He will have home hospice when he gets out of the hospital.

Back