Pie Crust Consumption

Do you eat the crust when served pie? I do - even the crimped edge. I notice at pot luck dinners , many people don't and just eat the filling off of it. Why not just eat a can of pie filling, then? The only time I don't is if it's burnt or underdone. When you make it, do you use shortening, lard or butter in it, or a combo?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can’t eat regular pie crust as I’m celiac but if it gluten free, you bet I eat the crust.
The few pies I make now I bake for my husband I usually use a combination of butter and shortening.

I don’t care too much for hydrogenated oils but my husband is less fussy. As long as it tastes good he’ll eat it.

I think people leave the crust because they are wasteful and it’s fattening but I don’t know for certain.

Last edited:
Yeah, just like people cutting off the edges of bread slices. I'm not even religious and I think wasting food is a SIN!

I found a recipe for making pie crust that uses olive oil, no butter or shortening. It's actually pretty good.

I'm old school with none of the food allergies that seem to have become so widespread during the past several decades. I can eat most anything including pie crust. Double gluten for me please.

My Grandmother was a serious and dedicated baker. She bought Crisco by the industrial lot and where Crisco didn't go, farm rendered lard or home churned butter did.

I eat pie crust (and bread crust as well) UNLESS it isn't very good. If it is hard and tasteless, I leave it. No need having the caloric intake if the product is unpleasant. My favorite pie crust is light and flaky. The French have it down pat.

I was disappointed with pastries in Australia and New Zealand. The pie fillings were usually quite good but the crust thick, hard and the flavor of cardboard.

I had an aunt who had several unpleasant attributes but she knew her pie crust and I never left a crumb. I sure miss her pies.

Deb,

This is one of the questions that we all can ponder while laying in the driveway waiting for someone to help us get back on our feet.

As a concession to old age and a sedentary lifestyle, I leave the crust and most of the filling on the plate.

When I was making pies I always made the crust with Crisco.

The pie crust has to be really good for me to eat it, don't see that often. Been buying these pies that you bake at home, and the crust is delicious, always eat it. Planning to buy a cherry and rhubarb/strawberry rhubarb soon. Sometimes put ice cream or heavy cream on top.

https://www.villagepiemaker.com/

Back