Pilot Layoffs

The federal salary passthrough program expires on October 1st and will trigger an estimated 100,000 layoffs if it is not extended.

I have a friend that works for American and he says that the CEO of American estimates that they will need to layoff 19,000 if the program is not extended.

It's a tough call to have the government pay people full salary to work or pay people reduced unemployment benefits to sit at home.

IMO the program should be extended in some way to protect the US airline industry as a part of our countries national/strategic security.

So thankful that I'm a retired spectator in all of this.
I saw that government's new stimulus package will include money for the airlines. Maybe I am biased, but I do believe that this is an industry that needs to be saved, however, we need to get this virus under control.

AA is hurting really badly and maybe even headed for bankruptcy.

I don’t know in I should write the following story or not, but I was leafing through one of my journals and I came to this item, which is actually a bit humorous. From time to time, pilots and the flight attendants sometimes like to have a little fun with anyone on the flight crew that is new. Well, back in April of 1988, we had a new F/A in our flight crew, so we set her up.

Before 9-11, the Captain or the F/O was able to leave the flight deck. I decided this was as good a time as any to introduce our new, young F/A to the wonderful world of being a member on our flight crew. We were about 120 miles from our destination when I went to the back of the plane where she was just finishing up her duties before landing. I told her that we needed to do an “ozone check.” She looked at me with a puzzled look. I asked her if she didn’t learn that during her training and she answered no. So, I put on this act like I was disgusted.

I told her what I wanted her to do. I told her to take one of those huge garbage bags that we keep onboard to put all of the smaller garbage bags in after our trip has ended, open it up wide and then walk slowly down aisle while holding the bag open. When she reached the front of the cabin, she was to quickly twist the end closed and use a twisting tie to put around the end so it wouldn’t come open. I told her that when she heard over the PA that we were starting our final descent, she was to do what I explained to her. She was OK with doing this.

BTW, the other F/A’s were also in on this gag. When we were 80 miles from the airport, I announced that we were in our final descent and to make sure that their seat belts were tight and locked. I opened the door to the flight deck, so I could watch her. She did exactly as I had told her. When she reached the front of the cabin, all of the other F/A’s and myself were standing there with a broad smile on our face. She then knew that she had been had. Her face was redder than her hair.

I have more for another time.

Back