Policeman/State trooper

The only time I heard "Copper" was in a James Cagney movie - "White Heat." He'd say, "A copper; a dirty, lousy copper."

Different states assign different duties to their state police. Here in PA, we are all called Troopers. We have jurisdiction anywhere in the state. We supply police protection to the small towns (boroughs) that do not have police protection.

We also take care of traffic issues on the interstates and turnpike. The other divisions that we have are firearms and alcohol, major crimes unit and assist any police department that requests us for assistance. There are other responsibilities, such as guarding the Governor that is considered an honor, if selected. This is generally a short term assignment. And, yes, we do have a SWAT unit.

It’s a great vocation for those that wish to serve.
Is there not also a crime lab?

Another ignorant English person here......where does the word 'Yankee' come from?

The British army used it as a slur for the colonial militia in America fighting as their allies in the French and Indian War/Seven Years War. The colonial soldiers turned it about and embraced the term, especially the Continental Army during the Revolution. The history of the song Yankee Doodle gives a lot more info.

Now it's used within the US by Southerners to describe people from northern parts of the country ...Northeast and Midwest predominately. It's mostly meant as a geographic origins term unless it's said as "damn Yankee" in a disparaging tone. That usage goes back to the Civil War when US soldiers were still called Yankees. People who are not from the US use it shortened to 'Yank' to refer to all Americans.

Last edited:
The British army used it as a slur for the colonial militia in America fighting as their allies in the French and Indian War/Seven Years War. The colonial soldiers turned it about and embraced the term, especially the Continental Army during the Revolution. The history of the song Yankee Doodle gives a lot more info.

Now it's used within the US by Southerners to describe people from northern parts of the country ...Northeast and Midwest predominately. It's mostly meant as a geographic origins term unless it's said as "damn Yankee" in a disparaging tone. That usage goes back to the Civil War when US soldiers were still called Yankees. People who are not from the US use it shortened to 'Yank' to refer to all Americans.
Thank you for taking the trouble to write that. I suppose it's similar to the Mexicans calling white men 'gringos'...people have forgotten how that term originated. ( From the song, Green grow the rushes).

That was a great movie. "You dirty Copper. You killed my brother and now I'm going to kill you." Or, something like that.

Yes, my friend was a Chicago "copper"...

The only time I heard "Copper" was in a James Cagney movie - "White Heat." He'd say, "A copper; a dirty, lousy copper."
That was a great movie. "You dirty Copper. You killed my brother and now I'm going to kill you." Or, something like that.

Is there not also a crime lab?
Next to the FBI’s lab in Quantico, we have 1 of the most sophisticated crime labs in the country. Every Governor during my tenure as a state trooper was very giving when it came to requesting items or training for the crime and forensics labs located in Bethlehem, PA.

Near retirement, I worked in the evidence room, which was more than just tagging and taking pictures of evidence. We also aided in fingerprinting I.D. and working in ballistics from time to time.

Back