Polish Cabbage Rolls (Golabki) with homemade garlic tomato sauce

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
Needshave, was my inspiration to turnout a batch of my cabbage rolls today, and so happy I did.

Aside from it being a messy job, it's an involved job, and one that I'm always happy to see done and over with.

I ended up with 31 cabbage rolls in the end, and just love using tin-pans for the occasion, as I can stack and freeze the tin-pan trays, and with each pan holding a single meal for two, it's a great way to prepare them.

Out of the freezer and into the oven.

P1040094 (2).JPG

P1040099 (3).JPG

My grandma, a Polish immigrant, called them something that sounded like "gowumpki." Maybe it depends on what is stuffed inside the cabbage. Hers were quite simple as I recall with tomato sauce and ground beef.

Her specialties were kielbasa (Polish sausage) and a delicious raisin bread.
Gołąbki (gaw-WOHMP-kee) - "little pigeons,", also known as golumpki and gwumpki.

Yum! The Polish sausage sounds delicious, as does the raisin bread!

There are so many variations of cabbage rolls, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to many classic or old-world recipes, and my opinion is simple is sometimes better.

So nice to hear from you, Damaged Goods. :)

@Aunt Marg, that looks absolutely delicious. I've made them a couple of times and it certainly is time consuming. There is nothing better than to pull a meal like that out of the freezer to enjoy when you are involved in a project or just want a day off from cooking.
Some people say a dishwasher is a girls best friend but in my household its the freezer. I couldn't live without mine.

@Aunt Marg, that looks absolutely delicious. I've made them a couple of times and it certainly is time consuming. There is nothing better than to pull a meal like that out of the freezer to enjoy when you are involved in a project or just want a day off from cooking.
Some people say a dishwasher is a girls best friend but in my household its the freezer. I couldn't live without mine.
Thank you so much, Ruth!

Gosh, your words are my words. The day I made them there was pots and pans everywhere, and I hate messes really bad, but I reminded myself that I wouldn't have to make them again for a while, and that helped calm my picky ways. LOL! :)

Oh yes, I agree, without my trusty old deep-freezer, I'd be lost.

My grandma, a Polish immigrant, called them something that sounded like "gowumpki." Maybe it depends on what is stuffed inside the cabbage. Hers were quite simple as I recall with tomato sauce and ground beef.

Her specialties were kielbasa (Polish sausage) and a delicious raisin bread.
I know of what you speak being Polish myself. We have a family owned meat market, Komensky's, that had their 100th year anniversary that makes kielbasa ( some call it kielbasi) that has led to it's longevity. I have some in the freezer.

Aunt Marg, how many heads of cabbage did you use to make 31 of those rolls.

I don't know if I mentioned it on this thread, or elsewhere...bt I made cabbage rolls deconstructed, like a soup.
It was good and easy.

We generally roll grape leaves, not so much the cabbage.
Both very time consuming.

Aunt Marg, how many heads of cabbage did you use to make 31 of those rolls.

I don't know if I mentioned it on this thread, or elsewhere...bt I made cabbage rolls deconstructed, like a soup.
It was good and easy.

We generally roll grape leaves, not so much the cabbage.
Both very time consuming.
I used two large cabbages.

Yes, when I forego rolling, I call my dish, cabbage hash. All is the same other than I thinly slice the cabbage and sauté it, otherwise the exact ingredients that go into the making of my cabbage rolls goes into the making of the hash.

The cabbage hash I make is rich and thick and eats like a stew.

Love the sounds of the grape leaves, Dob. :)

Back