Portrait in a Minute

One Life: Echoes of Elvis, at National Portrait Gallery

Who doesn't love Hemingway....esp being here in Florida. I have visited his home in the Keys many times. I went the first time in the early 80's, it was free,
returned again in the 90's then it was 7.50. We went one last time an it had gone up to 12.50....It was worth it tho, his 6 toed cats all over the place
an sitting in his writing room was up lifting. I have read all his books, fine writer.Sadly depression took over his life which he ended in the 1960's in
Idaho ,what a loss.He had a huge cement pool put in his backyard which he filled with sea water,how cool huh.If you ever get a chance to go to the Keys you have to ck it out
it's prob up to 20 bucks by now to get in but it's so worth it.

Thanks, happytime, for the info on Hemingway. Here's a picture and Link of his cool pool!:cool:
HemHouse-Pool-01_198_297_s_cy_c_c_0_0_100_bor1_c3b8a5.jpg
Pool-pic-JFK-library_198_147_s_cy_c_c_0_0_100_bor1_c3b8a5.jpg

"Few people know that, despite his protestations concerning the expense, it was Ernest Hemingway himself who planned the pool. His travels as a war correspondent during the Spanish Civil War, however, left oversight of the project to Pauline, and it was she who supervised the pool’s construction during 1937-1938".

"And Ernest did complain mightily about the growing expenses of construction costs. Indeed, tourists who visit the property today are treated to humorous story of Hemingway, purportedly exasperated at the expense of the venture, flinging down a penny on the half-built flagstone pool patio and bellowing, “Pauline, you’ve spent all but my last penny, so you might as well have that!” Whether the story is apocryphal or not, there is a penny embedded in cement at the north end of the pool to memorialize Ernest’s purported outburst".

OMG, I remember looking at the penny the first time I went there, I couldn't remember the story. Thank U so much for reviving my memory ....What a great story of the pool an the penny. It's still there
an always will be....

Ten Minute Portraits - The Second World War, Otto Frank.

"In 1947, as the sole surviving member of his family, Otto Heinrich 'Pim' Frank saw to it that the diary his teenage daughter kept while in hiding was published, and one of the most important texts of the twentieth century was bequeathed to the world and everyone in it".

Otto+Frank.jpg

[h=1]This portrait by S’porean artist Tan Swie Hian took one minute to create. It just sold for S$4.4 million at a Beijing auction. [/h]
What is more impressive is that Tan had reportedly created the large-scale portrait of Bada Shanren, a Ming and Qing Dynasty artist, in just a minute and then composed a lengthy inscription to accompany the minimalist portrait.
serveimage

Civil War 150th Anniversary: Walt Whitman and the Patent Office Building

Back