Positive Psychology

Gaer

unrepentant sinner
I'm glad this is helping you, my friend. However, positive thinking, while, of course, being better than thinking negative thoughts, is still in the relative field of the mind and are on an imaginary basis. This may lead to delusion unless grounded in the power of pure absolute being.
It is the science of being, the absolute, that brings intelligence, stability, the almighty power of nature, and eternal blissfulness into the relative field of life.
I'm so happy you are seeking truths and growing so rapidly in the soul!

I've read some of Martin Seligman's writings on positive psychology. He came up with the PERMA model, which is described on that website here:
https://positivepsychology.com/perma-model/

Seligman’s PERMA Model
  • P – Positive Emotion
  • E – Engagement
  • R – Relationships
  • M – Meaning
  • A – Accomplishments
It makes a lot of sense. If you increase those elements in your life, you'll be happier. The most important element is healthy relationships. Once I learned how to stop my destructive behavior in relationships, I've been much happier.

Seligman is the scientist who did the experiments with dogs back in the '60s to study depression.

Keesha

💙
I'm glad this is helping you, my friend. However, positive thinking, while, of course, being better than thinking negative thoughts, is still in the relative field of the mind and are on an imaginary basis. This may lead to delusion unless grounded in the power of pure absolute being.
It is the science of being, the absolute, that brings intelligence, stability, the almighty power of nature, and eternal blissfulness into the relative field of life.
I'm so happy you are seeking truths and growing so rapidly in the soul!
You bring up some very good points which I fully agree with. One can become completely delusional if trying to use positive psychology depending on the circumstances, however, for myself lately , I’ve noticed that I’d somehow focus on the things that were wrong. With a mental disorder like OCD, this type of thinking can become a vicious habit that circulates over and over. Practicing positive thinking nips it in the butt and is a reminder to look for all the things that are going on in life that are going well, instead of focussing on the things that aren’t.

Plus in other times in my life when I actively started using these techniques, it made a huge impact in my life. If how we think ultimately affects every aspect of our life, I think practicing healthier ways of thinking would make a huge impact especially for those who may have unhealthy thinking patterns.

Rosemarie

Positive thinking is obviously a good thing and helps us to get through difficult times. However, we mustn't mistake it for side-tracking a problem. It's too easy to push away unpleasantness, when confronting it and dealing with it might be a better option.

Don M.

It seems, to me, that as we age, the biggest challenge is to stay "relevant" and maintain a "purpose" in our daily lives. It's easy when we have a steady job, in our younger years, but when retired, it's often a problem to find something to occupy our time with...both physically and mentally. Becoming addicted to the couch and TV is probably the worst "lifestyle" choice a person can make as we age.

Keesha

💙
Positive thinking is obviously a good thing and helps us to get through difficult times. However, we mustn't mistake it for side-tracking a problem. It's too easy to push away unpleasantness, when confronting it and dealing with it might be a better option.
I don’t look at it as pushing away any negative or unwanted thought. I look at it at ‘changing the way you look at things, so the things you look at change.’ Yes it’s a Wayne Dyer affirmation but it really works. That’s not to say that there aren’t things you can change by physically working at them either but we are speaking of psychology here.

Nathan

With a mental disorder like OCD, this type of thinking can become a vicious habit that circulates over and over. Practicing positive thinking nips it in the butt and is a reminder to look for all the things that are going on in life that are going well, instead of focussing on the things that aren’t.
I've experienced some OCD-like tendancies such as rumination, and limerence...very emotionally fatiguing. Positive thinking is a part of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which I wish to self teach, which is my only alternative, besides medication.