Potato pancakes

Camper6

This is a great recipe for leftover mashed potatoes. I had it for lunch today.

Instead of using chopped scallions, I used chopped up green pepper which I love. It adds a nice taste to a meal.

Served with sour cream. (and beer)

Attachments

treeguy64

Hari Om, y'all!
Good latkes recipe, using mashed potatoes, instead of shredded ones. I substitute egg replacer, vegan cheddar, and (very low gluten) spelt flour. Applesauce and vegan sour cream are a must, when serving, at my table.

hollydolly

Those scones look scrumptious. Will give them a try.
Also you can add sultanas (dust them in a little flower first or they'll sink to the bottom), to make fruit scones... or replace the sugar and add a couple ounces of strong cheese, to make cheese scones!!

Last edited:

hollydolly

I have an old cookbook. I will look it up. I notice the old recipes use lard.
I have never used Lard, even in school when we were taught to make scones ( 50 years ago), we always used margarine or butter... . Try and make sure your butter is really cold and chopped into little pieces , and then when rubbing into the flour use just a light touch with cold fingertips and keep your fingers high above the mixing bowl.. until the mix resembles breadcrumbs..

Capt Lightning

Mrs L. uses margarine. She say's she never uses lard and is too mean to use butter. No matter, her scones taste great. I cook the family meals, Mrs. L does the baking. Our son bakes his own bread - he doesn't eat shop bought bread at all.

Camper6

Original Poster
I have never used Lard, even in school when we were taught to make scones ( 50 years ago), we always used margarine or butter... . Try and make sure your butter is really cold and chopped into little pieces , and then when rubbing into the flour use just a light touch with cold fingertips and keep your fingers high above the mixing bowl.. until the mix resembles breadcrumbs..
I have a kind of a wire gizmo that breaks up the butter into the flour.

Camper6

Original Poster
Mrs L. uses margarine. She say's she never uses lard and is too mean to use butter. No matter, her scones taste great. I cook the family meals, Mrs. L does the baking. Our son bakes his own bread - he doesn't eat shop bought bread at all.
I understand. Working the dough too much even for pies makes it tough.