Potatoes.

chic

SF VIP
Do you like 'em? Love 'em. What are your favorite ways to eat them? I do love potatoes. I love them in soups and stews and baked with a roast served with gravy. My favorite spuds are reds, yellows, sweet spuds, tiny gourmet potatoes and my all time favorite - Japanese yams which taste like chestnuts. My favorite potato dish is probably tiny gourmet spuds roasted with olive oil and sprinkled with crushed rosemary. I'm also a huge fan of potato latkes served with applesauce. So nice at this time of year. So spill your opinions of the humble but delicious potato. :giggle:

Luv'em.....but they [white ones] are said to be bad for blood sugar ? BTW I wonder if instant potatoes are as bad ?

One of my favorites is Yukon Gold........
These days, anything with starch or carbs is the "Evil food of the month." And meat, cheese & eggs are the new "Health foods." Yeah..."Fruit is loaded with sugar, so don't go near it......"
IMO, French Fries may not be healthy & Fruit Pies certainly aren't healthy. But that's not the same as raw fruit & baked potatoes.

My favorite is little red potatoes w/butter ....
iu

I grew up with potatoes three times a day and I still enjoy them.

These days I have to watch my carbs so I try to keep the servings around 1/2 cup. I buy the potatoes one at a time or I buy frozen hash brown patties that I can crisp up in the toaster oven.

My parents and grandparents raised potatoes and would be amazed/amused at buying one potato for a price that works out to around $2,000.00/ton.

Lots of favorites but a baked potato with butter and sour cream or a real potato salad made from scratch are hard to beat.

I like having potatoes on hand. Most often I bake them. A little butter, and parmesian cheese sprinkled on top. Maybe a sprinkle of chives if I have them. Bacon bits and a bit of sour cream too. Often I will make a meal of just a baked potato.
A weird aside. Early this morning, about 2 AM I woke up rather hungry. I had eaten dinner rather early, and had not had a snack before bed. So, I got up, made me a baked tater in the microwave and ate it. Went back to bed. Is it bad to eat a potato before bed?

I like Yukon Gold potatoes, either boiled, seasoned and with butter or Smart Balance....or sliced, seasoned and sauteed in olive oil until brown on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. We usually have them that way with a grilled salmon fillet.

Back in the day I loved mashed potatoes with milk and butter, heavy cream on holidays, but I'm eating healthier now and trying to keep off the extra pounds.

I keep a couple cans of whole potatoes on the emergency shelf specifically to make this easy recipe.

It's great on a cold wintry night with a fried ham steak, green vegetable and a warm apple crisp topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Rinse one can of whole potatoes in boiling water and pat dry or use an equal quantity of freshly boiled potatoes.

Make a cream sauce using:

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A good dash of cayenne pepper
6 slices of American processed cheese chopped in small dice. (do not use cheese food)

Bake in a small casserole at 325 or 350 for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and it is bubbling.

You can also make this as a stove-top item by adding the drained potatoes to the cream sauce and heating but I think the time in the oven improves it.

It is very important, for me, to refresh canned potatoes with boiling water. I think it removes the tinny canned taste.

When I was growing up, hot, creamy potato soup with saltines was the 'go to' meal if one was sick. My Mom made the best. I've never been able to quite duplicate it ...... or maybe it's just her hand that was missing.

I've learned that little red potatoes have less effect on my blood sugar than the Idaho or Russet normally used for baking.

Scalloped potatoes.
My mother made these by layering potatoes, onions, flour, butter, salt and pepper and pouring some milk over. Baked for a long time. It was so good.

Sometimes there was ham in it.

I remember those. Soooo good.

When I was young, working and time was short I made a quick version with the potatoes, onion and a can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom and half can of milk. In order to disguise the mushrooms, I combined the soup and milk and twirled in blender until smooth. The child who wouldn't touch a mushroom on his plate loved the potato dish unless he happened to be in the kitchen when I was preparing it.

I keep a couple cans of whole potatoes on the emergency shelf specifically to make this easy recipe.

It's great on a cold wintry night with a fried ham steak, green vegetable and a warm apple crisp topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Rinse one can of whole potatoes in boiling water and pat dry or use an equal quantity of freshly boiled potatoes.

Make a cream sauce using:

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A good dash of cayenne pepper
6 slices of American processed cheese chopped in small dice. (do not use cheese food)

Bake in a small casserole at 325 or 350 for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and it is bubbling.

You can also make this as a stove-top item by adding the drained potatoes to the cream sauce and heating but I think the time in the oven improves it.

It is very important, for me, to refresh canned potatoes with boiling water. I think it removes the tinny canned taste.
My mom used to make a similar thing with peas. Creamed peas & potatoes. She often used the little white canned ones, too. Now I'm hungry for that, Aunt Bea!

Back