Pressure Cooking A Steak Instead of Grilling or Broiling?

JonDouglas

Everybody grills steak, right? Being somewhat adventurous, I wondered what it would be like to pressure cook a steak, so that's what I tried this afternoon. The plan was to take about one lb. of top round, cut into 6 smaller serving sizes and rub in salt, pepper a and a steak rub. The meat then went onto the grate that sits a little above the bottom of the pot. Next into the pot was a whole onion, sliced. On top of that went 3 pieces of smoked bacon, sliced into small pieces, and one baby sliced carrot for flavoring. Other ingredients included 2 cups beef broth, 1 tbl worcestershire, 2 tbl ketchup, 1 tsp italian seasong, 1 tsp garlic powder. Poured the broth over the meat, onions, bacon and added the other ingredients. Put on and tightened the lid, set pot to Meat/Stew high pressure for 1:15 and later served au jus with corn on the cob.

The steak was very tasty and so tender you could cut it with your fork. All went back for seconds, leaving precious little leftovers to go into rotation. It was one of the best tasting steaks I've had in a while. Sometimes you strike out and sometimes you hit one of the park. This was at least a triple. One of these days I may try to make steak diane with pressure cooked meat and a separate diane sauce prep.

Edit Note: I forgot to list one other ingredient - a dribble of liquid smoke.

Last edited:
My mother used to cook it exactly like that and we loved it. I have always been scared of the cookers so when I do cook a steak I cook a rib eye on a grill pan on the stove with a lot of butter and seasonings except for salt. Was taught a long time ago to add after cooking only. I do like a lot of garlic and sweet onions.

I was just watching videos on how to cook steak in the Instant Pot. She just seared it on "saute" for 2 minutes on each side. Then 4 minutes on "manual" and 4 minutes to natural release. I am planning on trying it.

My mother used to cook it exactly like that and we loved it. I have always been scared of the cookers so when I do cook a steak I cook a rib eye on a grill pan on the stove with a lot of butter and seasonings except for salt. Was taught a long time ago to add after cooking only. I do like a lot of garlic and sweet onions.
The pressure cookers today are probably safer overall than cooking something in a skillet and a lot more convenient. You can prep, set and forget - something made for a kitchen incompetent like me.

I was just watching videos on how to cook steak in the Instant Pot. She just seared it on "saute" for 2 minutes on each side. Then 4 minutes on "manual" and 4 minutes to natural release. I am planning on trying it.
Many instant pot ecipes suggest you saute before cooking. I did once with beef and noodles. I don't bother any more.. Instead, I just cook it longer on pressure.

Many instant pot ecipes suggest you saute before cooking. I did once with beef and noodles. I don't bother any more.. Instead, I just cook it longer on pressure.
The reason they say that is to sear the juices inside the meat. I saute meats mainly for the flavor. Seasoning the meat then saute it, then pressure cook it.

I think saute is the wrong word. Instead throw the steak on a high heated skillet with a little oil and leave it there for a minute for both sides "searing" the sides to preserve the juices. This is for grilling I can't say it is for pressure cooking.

Good thing you used top round. It's leaner & won't break down as easily as steak with more marbling when pressure cooked for that long. The seasoning used sounds great and the broth if any is left over makes great gravy or a base for soups.

I will not try it as I do not have a pressure cooker. I have become quite skilled with steak in cast iron. I used to always have it cooked on the grill but it is so much easier and quicker to do it on the stove top.

I did not know that today's pressure cookers had a grate to rest the meat on. Or a timer for that matter. They have improved over the years.

I do my steak this way, I marinate earlier in the day with a product called EZ Marinade, probably not good for you but since I don't use it often I give it a (y)

I saute sweet onion in butter, add some cremini mushrooms when the onions are almost done and then set that aside making sure all the butter is out of the pan. I thoroughly pat the steak dry with a paper towel, salt and pepper only, add a little canola oil to the pan and make sure the pan is good and hot before searing the steak. I fry till almost done and then add the onion/mushroom mix back in for a minute or two.

Back