King Charles III, a fascinating life

Was Prince Charles the original hipster?
charles-1289326.jpg
Andrew looks like he's really enjoying himself.

"As of May 2017, Buckingham Palace said Philip had carried out 22,191 solo engagements since becoming Prince Consort in 1952. He made 637 solo overseas visits, more than a third of them to Commonwealth countries. He also gave 5,493 speeches and authored 14 books.
Yet he found time to pursue his own interests: over the years these have included polo, barbecues, competitive horse carriage driving (a sport in which he has represented Britain) and practical jokes. He even trained to be a pilot, being awarded his "wings" in 1953. Philip's passion for flying led to speculation that he might fly the Queen to her Scotland residence, Balmoral, for a holiday before her coronation on June 2".

210409141213-03-prince-philp-obit-exlarge-169.jpg

Prince Philip plays polo in 1970.

Philip had no constitutional roles other than being a privy counselor, but the Queen in 1952 declared that he had "place, pre-eminence and precedence" next to herself "on all occasions and in all meetings, except where otherwise provided by act of Parliament."
img_1646.jpg
1618090629901.jpeg

"When they wed in front of 2,000 people at Westminster Abbey, King George VI said, “One day Lilibet will be queen and he will be consort. That’s much harder than being a king, but I think he’s the man for the job.” Keeping his word, Philip kneeled before her and swore to be her “liege man of life and limb” at the Queen’s coronation in 1953".

1d1d9186-a2fd-4b52-8a25-2301423ebf8b.jpg

"At the end of the night of her 50th wedding anniversary, the Queen fondly spoke of her husband with profound and uncharacteristic emotion: “He is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years. I, and his whole family, and this and many other countries, owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim, or we shall ever know.”

Read Princess Anne's full statement below.

"You know it’s going to happen but you are never really ready. My father has been my teacher, my supporter and my critic, but mostly it is his example of a life well lived and service freely given that I most wanted to emulate".

"His ability to treat every person as an individual in their own right with their own skills comes through all the organizations with which he was involved. I regard it as an honour and a privilege to have been asked to follow in his footsteps and it has been a pleasure to have kept him in touch with their activities".

"I would like to emphasize how much the family appreciate the messages and memories of so many people whose lives he also touched. We will miss him but he leaves a legacy which can inspire us all".

their-royal-highnesses-the-duke-of-edinburgh-and-the-princess-royal-credit-alex-livesey-getty-images-1618161496.jpg

Last days of Prince Philip

"Prince Philip spent much his final days sleeping, according to a new report — but in his best waking hours, he soaked in the sun with a blanket on his lap and Queen Elizabeth at his side, according to a new report. And she was at his bedside when his end came at Windsor Castle on Friday morning at age 99, the UK’s Telegraph reported of Philip".

"The Duke of Edinburgh had insisted, according to the Telegraph, that he would die in his own bed".

“There were moments of great lucidity and joyful togetherness,” even toward the end, wrote Richard Kay, Editor-at-Large at the Daily Mail and a former top royal correspondent and gossip columnist there".

"He could walk, though with difficulty and using a cane. “Occasionally, he would allow himself to be pushed in a wheelchair, but staff were very wary of suggesting it,” Kay wrote.

“When it first appeared in the private rooms he shouted: ‘Get that bloody thing out of my sight,’ recalls an aide".

"Philip ate little, Kay’s report said, and had discontinued the 7:30 a.m. tray of morning tea traditionally delivered to his bed by a valet or page. And he declined many of the other trays of food that would be brought up later in the day".

"At the very end, his last wish was fulfilled — to die in the comforts of home, instead of in the hospital".

Why Prince Charles Will Make an Excellent King

How Prince Charles will be different

"We know already that Prince Charles takes a different approach to public affairs than his mother. His ‘Black Spider’ letters to ministers on a wide array of subjects are famous in Whitehall and point to a political personality that is complicated, incorporating elements of left and right, and therefore more in keeping with that of his average subject than that of a professional politician whose instincts are those of the textbook and not the high street".

"We know that the Prince of Wales is a conservationist, an advocate of rural life, against modern architecture, against bureaucracy generally and the ever greater encroachment of the legal profession on British life in particular".

"In all these views he is with the public and against the political class as a whole. These instincts are important and they are not held with any degree of sincerity by any powerful actor elsewhere in the constitutional system".

The royal family has several weird food rules they must follow such as you cannot keep eating after the queen finishes her meal and garlic is banned at Buckingham Palace. Like other people, they also have their preferences and one of Prince Charles’s is that he does not eat lunch. And when it comes to his favorite foods, his tastes aren’t terribly extravagant like you might expect. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, dished that the future king loves cheese.

prince_charles_eats_oysters.jpg

Prince Charles enjoying oysters at the Whitstable Oyster Festival | Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

An Alternative View Of The British Royal's Jubilee Year
LONGREACH, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 5: (EDITORS NOTE: Image was processed using Snapseed) Prince Charles, Prince of Wales visits the Stockman's Hall of Fame on November 5, 2012 in Longreach, Australia. The Royal couple are in Australia on the second leg of a Diamond Jubilee Tour taking in Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

prince-charles-prince-of-wales-visits-the-stockmans-hall-of-fame-on-picture-id158710678

Prince Charles reads Quoting Shakespeare by Bernard Levin

Quoting Shakespeare by Bernard Levin

Here is the full version in case you can't hear it:

Bernard Levin’s Quoting Shakespeare in full
'If you cannot understand my argument, and declare "It's Greek to me'', you are quoting Shakespeare; if you claim to be more sinned against than sinning, you are quoting Shakespeare; if you act more in sorrow than in anger; if your wish is farther to the thought; if your lost property has vanished into thin air, you are quoting Shakespeare; if you have ever refused to budge an inch or suffered from green-eyed jealousy, if you have played fast and loose, if you have been tongue-tied, a tower of strength, hoodwinked or in a pickle, if you have knitted your brows, made a virtue of necessity, insisted on fair play, slept not one wink, stood on ceremony, danced attendance (on your lord and master), laughed yourself into stitches, had short shrift, cold comfort or too much of a good thing, if you have seen better days or lived in a fool's paradise - why, be that as it may, the more fool you, for it is a foregone conclusion that you are (as good luck would have it) quoting Shakespeare; if you think it is early days and clear out bag and baggage, if you think it is high time and that that is the long and short of it, if you believe that the game is up and that truth will out even if it involves your own flesh and blood, if you lie low till the crack of doom because you suspect foul play, if you have teeth set on edge (at one fell swoop) without rhyme or reason, then - to give the devil his due - if the truth were known (for surely you have a tongue in your head) you are quoting Shakespeare; even if you bid me good riddance and send me packing, if you wish I was dead as a door-nail, if you think I am an eyesore, a laughing stock, the devil incarnate, a stony-hearted villain, bloody-minded or a blinking idiot, then - by Jove! O Lord! Tut tut! For goodness' sake! What the dickens! But no buts! - it is all one to me, for you are quoting Shakespeare.'

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visited Barbados as part of a Caribbean tour.
Prince-Charles-666x1024.jpg

His Royal Highness (HRH) Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, stands in the shade prior to the grand opening ceremony celebrating the re-opening of the ÒOld BridgeÓ (Stari Most) in Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia-Herzegovina (BIH). This bridge is the symbol of Mostar and was destroyed during the 1993 Balkan War.

July 1, 2017
"Prince Charles is an indisputable style legend. We're not kidding. From his affinity for double breasted suits and boss collection of pinky jewelry to his superb understanding of how to mix patterns and colors, the guy is an O.G. menswear peacock, never missing an opportunity to out-dress everyone in the room. Yesterday, in Canada, Charles gave us this gem of a detail shot":

prince%252520charles%252520sunglasses.jpg
prince%252520charles%252520style%2525202017.jpg

"Sure, his reflective glasses were actually proper snow glasses, given to Charles by a local jewelry designer in the town of Iqaluit, but still. We like to think the Prince of Wales knew that they were the perfect finishing touch to his already next-level accessories game. While the rest of us are messing around in ugly sneakers, Charles is over here with a floral boutonniere and antique cufflinks, rocking four different patterns in one look. Damn".

Back