Problem with freezer

JaniceM

I've been having this problem for a couple of years, since landlords supplied a brand-new refrigerator/freezer. Did not have this problem with previous, very old refrigerator/freezer. I'm hoping someone here might know what the issue is- and if there's anything I can do to correct it.

It doesn't matter what foods are frozen in- Tupperware, other freezer containers, or even a product's original bags that haven't been opened. Most times when I take them out of the freezer and open them, they're loaded with ice. I'm not talking about minor ice crystals, but large quantities of ice.

Admittedly I don't know anything about temperature settings, if that's relevant- it's still the same as when the delivery guys brought it in and set it up.

Our modern Kitchen-Aid refrigerator is set to 0 (freezer compartment), and 36 (refrigerator compartment).

35-38° F, is the recommended refrigerator temperature setting, as is 0° F, for the freezer compartment.

Celsius conversion... 36° F = 2.22 ° C
Celsius conversion... 0° F = -17.7778° C

Janice does your new fridge/freezer only have one temperature setting in the fridge part or are there 2 separate...one in the fridge....one in the freezer?

Get a small basic thermometer, and put it in the freezer for a day or so, and note the temperature. If its much below 0 degrees, adjust the temp control up slightly, until you show a consistent 0. Do the same for the fridge compartment....adjust it for about 35 degrees. If you have a Dollar General store nearby, you can get a small thermometer for about $1.

The temperature controls are usually located in the refrigerator compartment...near the upper middle above the top shelf. If the temperature is too low, just move the knob/control up one notch, and observe for a day or so, then move again, if needed.

If you have the owners manual, it should tell you everything you need. If you don't have the manual, find the make/model...usually on a label on the inside wall of the fridge, and you can look the manual up online.

Last edited:
In addition, check the freezer compartment for any ice buildup on the walls/bottom. Most refrigerators have an automatic Defrost Cycle that heats the freezer once or twice every 24 hours, and drains any ice buildup into an evaporator pan in the bottom of the fridge. If this cycle isn't working, you will get excess ice on everything in the freezer.
This can be caused by a defective defrost control, a bad heater coil/thermocouple, or a drain tube that is clogged. If you have such a problem, it will require a service call from a repairman.
If you are renting, bring this matter to your landlords attention, and let him handle it.

Back