Pronunciation of the letter r in British English

Eh? Are you oot and aboot?
No, I can't agree. I've lived with Canadians and lived in New England for many years. Unless they talk like Boston in the Yukon. ;)
I'm 87. I have yet to hear anyone say out and aboot. One difference for me is we say "I am finished". Americans say "I am done".My family doesn't pronounce words like the Kennedys. I don't detect any accent.

Back in the 70s, I (a native Californian) moved with my 1st huzz to New Hampshire. The 1st time I spoke, someone who was native to N.H., got a shocked look on her face, leaned forward and said to me, "Whayuh in the wuhld are you from with that accent? And what's with the out-of-control Ahh's [R's]?!" I said "California" and she said "Oh, well, no wuhndah!"

One of the reasons for the switch from non-rhotic to rhotic in America, was the influx into the country of German, Irish, and Scottish immigrants who spoke with rhotic English.
Back when radio was new, the sound microphones were so poor people's voices sounded garbled, so all radio performers were taught rhotic. Same for when sound was put to silent film, which is why actresses all said, like, "Daahhling" instead of darling. And that's when actors and actresses were set apart from normal people, and became celebrities; a cut above.

Another thing I noticed about New Hampshire, any word whose final syllable had an "uh" sound--like "quota" for ex.--an "R" sound was tacked on the end. For ex.: a co-worker was named Linda; when other co-workers said her name, they pronounced it "Linder". (I seem to remember that Pres. Kennedy did that sometimes too.)

Back