Psyllium Seeds Fight GERD

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
I've been using a generic version of Metamucil for years, which is a form of psyllium husks. I started using it to relieve internal and external hemorrhoids, by softening the stool. It does work very well. There are other benefits to it also.

I have had issues with heartburn and occasional acid reflux, the most simple and healthy thing I do every evening is to eat a small tart apple, a Pink Lady, Granny Smith, etc.

Psyllium seed has been used in traditional Persian medicine since ancient times. The mucilage, or gluey substance, produced by the seeds leads to an increase in the wave-like movements, or peristalsis, of the bowel, while also increasing moisture of the stool, helping to increase both the frequency and volume of bowel movements.[6]

Beyond this, psyllium may favorably alter the microbiota in your intestines, as some microbes may use oligosaccharides from psyllium as an energy source. This means psyllium may have prebiotic potential, helping to support the growth of beneficial bacteria in your gut, while also boosting production of short-chain fatty acids that improve the health of your colon.[7]

So while traditionally psyllium has been viewed as an excellent tool for improving constipation, it's now known that it may benefit a number of health conditions, including:

https://www.greenmedinfo.health/blog/psyllium-seeds-fight-gerd

Every morning I make up a thick slurry combination of ground flaxseed, ground hempseed and a powdered vegetable/fruit product, sweetened by about 3 or 4 tablespoons of honey....mixed with enough water to render it the consistency of a milkshake. That, 2 bananas, a hard boiled egg, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, my vitamin pills and turmeric capsule constitute my breakfast.
Lunch is a variation of beans, brown rice, barley and vegetables.....the various iterations of those ingredients seem to vary by ratio from week to week. Animal protein (besides the egg which I hard boil 5 of at a time in advance) is the occasional can of sardines, when I feel like it.
Dinner is nuts and dried fruit.
I've been living on this for a year now and my entire digestive tract seems to be thriving very comfortably with it.
Oh yeah, I eat a 7 oz bar of milk chocolate every night in bed as I read a book.

Last edited:
Psyllium is high in soluble fiber - 4 gms/tbsp, which helps the body get rid of excess cholesterol (yes, it happens in the bathroom) & also can stabilize blood sugar. Most people don't get enough fiber from food, so Psyllium, flax & chia seeds are beneficial. Foods that are also high in soluble fiber are fruit, vegetables & beans.

Every morning I make up a thick slurry combination of ground flaxseed, ground hempseed and a powdered vegetable/fruit product, sweetened by about 3 or 4 tablespoons of honey....mixed with enough water to render it the consistency of a milkshake. That, 2 bananas, a hard boiled egg, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, my vitamin pills and turmeric capsule constitute my breakfast.
Lunch is a variation of beans, brown rice, barley and vegetables.....the various iterations of those ingredients seem to vary by ratio from week to week. Animal protein (besides the egg which I hard boil 5 of at a time in advance) is the occasional can of sardines, when I feel like it.
Dinner is nuts and dried fruit.
I've been living on this for a year now and my entire digestive tract seems to be thriving very comfortably with it.
Oh yeah, I eat a 7 oz bar of milk chocolate every night in bed as I read a book.
This looks super healthy.

Last edited:
I used to buy ground psyllium seeds by the pound. The resulting two-foot long snakes in the toilet were interesting. Once I became vegan, not eating (for me) constipating dairy products, the need for psyllium disappeared. Bananas constipate me, badly, within a few hours after eating even half of one.

As always, I advise everyone to listen to their own body, and learn what it's telling you it needs for good health. The diet described, above, would wreak havoc on me, but does wonders for the person who uses it.

We're all different, something the establishment medical world has been very slow to grasp.

Yes I didn’t mean to suggest it’s a healthy concoction for everyone. I meant that it appears to be a well thought out eating plan that’s been established specifically for them.

I couldn’t eat all that either, nor would I want to
What works for my GERD is apple cider vinegar in hot water.

Yes I didn’t mean to suggest it’s a healthy concoction for everyone. I meant that it appears to be a well thought out eating plan that’s been established specifically for them.

I couldn’t eat all that either, nor would I want to
What works for my GERD is apple cider vinegar in hot water.
Excellent! Even a teaspoon of vinegar, in any preparation, causes great pain in my lower GI tract (and lower o_O). Has for years. I didn't like giving up ketchup and mustard and pickles and...........I have found alternatives, over the years, thankfully.

One of the simplest and cheapest home remedies is simply raising the head of your bed. No need to spend a lot of money and you don't even need tools. You can go to your local Lowes/Home Depot, etc., and ask them to cut a 2 x 4 into 6 or 8" lengths. Cost about $3. You can start by raising the head of your bed by placing one cut 2 x 4 under the head of your bed. If that's not high enough stack two sections on top of each other and glue them. Place them under the head of the bed and if you have center supports use one section under the center supports.
Cheap, easy, and it works. Best of all, no meds.

Back