Quilts...

Colleen

I've been making quilts, wall hangings, table runner, table toppers, placemats, etc. for over 20 years. I've given some away to family but most I make just for the enjoyment of the process. I thought I'd share a few I've made. Hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 7
I've been making quilts, wall hangings, table runner, table toppers, placemats, etc. for over 20 years. I've given some away to family but most I make just for the enjoyment of the process. I thought I'd share a few I've made. Hope you enjoy them.
Beautiful quilts @Colleen :)

My daughter's Mother-in-law is a life-long quilter. She learned from her mother, and belongs to a Quilting Guild.

I have always wanted to make a hand-sewn quilt, but now it's too late. Too lengthy an undertaking, and - no sewing machine :(

My wife makes beautiful quilts. She has one hanging at her church and another at the local fire department. Unfortunately, her embroidery machine seems to spend more time in the shop than out and doing her bidding.

So, my question...didn't people make quilts long before there were embroidery machines? How did they do it? Is that something my wife could do when her machine is in the shop as it is now?

My passion is music. To me, a large part of that is the journey of learning to play a real instrument. Today, many use computers to do it for them, much as my wife depends on her embroidery machine. Are there any quilters who go back to the handmade method as I do with music?

Tony

My wife makes beautiful quilts. She has one hanging at her church and another at the local fire department. Unfortunately, her embroidery machine seems to spend more time in the shop than out and doing her bidding.

So, my question...didn't people make quilts long before there were embroidery machines? How did they do it? Is that something my wife could do when her machine is in the shop as it is now?

My passion is music. To me, a large part of that is the journey of learning to play a real instrument. Today, many use computers to do it for them, much as my wife depends on her embroidery machine. Are there any quilters who go back to the handmade method as I do with music?

Tony
They hand-quilted using a large frame, I believe. The old "quilting bee" was when women from the community got together to work on the same quilt.

I think the Mennonites still quilt this way. They auction them off at the Fall Fair.
My wife's church has a quilt group. However, what they do is work independently on their own machines and then come together to finish up. They then auction off the resulting quilt as part of their annual fundraiser. So it os somewhat of a community effort, but they don't actually quilt together.

Tony

I used to make quilts in the early 90s. Mine were pretty simple though. I did collect antique quilts and have a lot of them, some made even before the Civil War. I also have a few Amish/Mennonite quilts.

When I go the County Fair here, I always spend a little time in the quilt hall. I admire the art and skill that goes into the quilts on display. Plus they remind me of my Grandmother who was a skilled quilt maker.

Please don't tell anyone about this otherwise I will be banned from the "grumpy old geezer society".

There's a quilting place about a mile from me. I've considered chking it out one of these days, cause it's right next to the gas station I frequent. I think they've been closed due to covid.

But, I thought it might be a nice hobby to take up after I retire.
When we were kids my grandmother had a quilt we used all the time when we visited , and it somehow ended up here at our house.
I think she must have made it, it was very elementary. There was no sewing involved, it was held together with huge safety pins, and had raw (i dont know how else to describe it) lamb's wool in it. It was clumpy, but warm!

I'm wondering if I can find that wool again, altho it's probably more in line w/the yr 2021.

Lovely work Colleen, I love quilts and have a beautiful one my husband's mother made. It's only for display.

Back