Remember Pre-Employment Tests?

ClassicRockr

Did you ever have to take any before getting an interview. Of course, this was before most-to-all jobs were put online. I remember having to take a Literacy Test (spelling, math, filing, etc.), typing/data entry test and, for one company, a test to identify electronic parts. Actually, these tests were to weed out those that said "I can", but really can't.

Did you ever have to take any before getting an interview. Of course, this was before most-to-all jobs were put online. I remember having to take a Literacy Test (spelling, math, filing, etc.), typing/data entry test and, for one company, a test to identify electronic parts. Actually, these tests were to weed out those that said "I can", but really can't.
Oh yes several times. The results of the tests would determine whether you reached the interview stage in some cases...

Holly, wonder if those tests could be called "discrimination" today, since they were for "determining"? Many folks seem to always say "everyone should be treated equal", but yet these tests proved that not everyone applying for a job were "equal". Interesting, hugh?
I took the tests with no problems, and, my wife recently took an Excel test online for a company. She done fine.

Holly, wonder if those tests could be called "discrimination" today, since they were for "determining"? Many folks seem to always say "everyone should be treated equal", but yet these tests proved that not everyone applying for a job were "equal". Interesting, hugh?
I took the tests with no problems, and, my wife recently took an Excel test online for a company. She done fine.
I have no doubt that someone somewhere would try to make them discriminatory, you're probably right Cody, but in fact in the days where there would be lots of applicants for just a few jobs it weeded out a lot of people who would have been completely unsuitable for the job right from the beginning.

Back