Remember the traumas of high school life?

I think my motto must have been ~

Even though you're only make believing
Laugh, Clown, laugh!

I was probably at my funniest on zit-breakout days. But I had a great time in high school.
I joked a lot...quipped a lot, more like it, but I was a good student. Did really well in everything but math. Algebra threw me.

I never had spots ever.. when I was at school or at any time at all during my teen years.. In fact I think even in my school there was probably less than a handful of kids who got acne.. and they were all boys..

This quote sums up my experience and feelings about it:

"Pretty much everyone hates high school. It’s a measure of your humanity, I suspect. If you enjoyed high school, you were probably a psychopath or a cheerleader. Or possibly both. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive, you know.

"…you should enjoy and appreciate your days in high school, because you will remember them the rest of your life. Like when you’re in prison, or you’re getting mugged at gunpoint, you can say to yourself, 'Well, at least I’m not in high school.' High school is life’s way of giving you a record low to judge the rest of your life by."

~~from Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess)

I hated school from day one I suspect it started with a first grade teacher who wouldn't let me play at recess because she was afraid I would break my glasses, so she made me sit on a bench anytime the other kids were playing. My grandma took care of that as soon as she found out what was going on, but too late to make me ever like school. Then as a teenager I lucked out, very few pimples and the few I got were in my hairline and didn't show!

High school wasn't a fun time for a lot of teens. I didn't have acne and was a good student. It was okay for me because I was involved in a lot of extracurricular activities. That meant staying late after classes for various activities and also having evening rehearsals. That kept me out of the house and was one of the good things about high school.

I went into school very naive and self concious...only wanted
to have fun and be liked....teaches were not happy about
haveing fun, and my personality took care of being liked very well....older classmates would love to "set me on the fountain",
so that I had wet trousers, down there!! and other things went on also....i was always bumped out of sports/track...so i just
basically gave up trying out....had to retake algebra and history
to get diploma....not much fun.....:cautious:

High school was torture for me and I don't know why. There was only one class I liked to attend, Honors English. I would come back to school after playing hooky all day just to attend it. I was a truant and was able to hide this fact by having a first period job in the Attendance Office. After showing up for home room I would sign myself out for the rest of the day by forging documents. To get myself back into school for last period I would slowly walk backwards until I was in the bldg. There were crowds leaving before last period so I melded myself in the crowd only I went backwards while they went forward so I could sneak back in.

Don't know why I was a truant. There wasn't any psychological help back in those days. When my grade advisor found out I wanted to leave academic subjects he yelled: "Your IQ and standardized tests are WRONG! YOU'RE REALLY STUPID!" That's what passed for help back then. I was on my own. Told my parents nothing if I could avoid it. They just assumed I was in school.

I pass my high school several times a week. It still gives me anxiety just to pass by.

As I have posted in another thread, going to high school in Hawaii, things were pretty
laid back in the middle to late 60's.
(I even posted a YouTube video of my school, the year I graduated)

Remember just surfing and discovering music.

Only problems I had was when we moved to San Pedro, California at the start of my senior year.
I didn't really fit in with the other 'kids' going to that school, a rough area back then, so I just made myself invisible.

Thankfully, my Dad got reassigned back to Hawaii after 3 months and I got to graduate back at my former school.

I liked high school. I participated in sports all year long, so after school was practice time, then home. Weekends were busy with sports and dates when I was not in a game.... I enjoyed the school dances and liked some of my classes, but not all. Overall, I have great memories and many friends I am still in contact with. But, once in a lifetime was enough...

My high school times were interesting. I had my share of discomfort and angst, but nothing traumatic.

My first year, sophomore year, was in Florida. We had a statewide teacher's strike that pretty much wiped out the second half of the year. Weeks with no school, and then a couple of months of triple sessions without assignments or tests. Finally an early hurricane shut things down and the school board decided we were done. All got P grades for passing. Didn't learn much, but got in more fishing than most school years.

Then we moved to Utah, a kind of culture shock. My Utah class had 300+ kids, 9 of whom, like me, were not Mormon. It really wasn't bad, Mormons are not bad people, just very different from what I had known. When we moved to Utah I didn't even know what a Mormon was, and just assumed the LDS Church was a Timothy Leary thing... Got through it fine.

Back