Respect and personal responsibility during the covid-19 pandemic

Pete

DSCF0072.jpg
A photograph of the peace and tranquility I once lived in,
and for those in the South suffering from the heat
imagine yourselves out in this snow!

….it hits 94 degrees with a humidity that brings back memories of the jungles of South East Asia during a monsoon, and here I am with gloves and a face mask on doing my weekly supermarket run. Yes I know its Texas in July during the coronavirus pandemic so I should expect to be wearing protection and suffering in the heat but what about the 30% of people I encounter that are wearing no protection on at all?

Texas is now rivaling the early days of the pandemic when N.Y. had the largest number of COVID-19 cases and still no matter where you go you will find people not wearing a mask. Now some of my fellow hunting guide buddies back in Alaska would say as they sat around the campfire at night that it is an ideal way to 'thin the herd' of the shall we say the less intelligent of our species.

The only problem with that theory is those not wearing a mask are endangering anyone they may encounter. We have been told since the pandemic started that you could have no symptoms, while carrying the virus and still infect people if you are not wearing a mask.

I believe
it is your right
not to wear a mask
when no one is near you,
but
it is 'we the people's' right

that you wear one around others.

Yes, that's the typical theory, but how would you answer this question?
If you're wearing a mask, & your mask protects you, why would you be concerned about others who aren't wearing a mask?

If you're wearing a mask, & your mask protects you, why would you be concerned about others who aren't wearing a mask?

From all I've read and heard about this, the mask is worn to protect other people from what you might be carrying. It doesn't protect you.

The insidious thing about this virus is that it often infects people without giving them any symptoms or making them sick, but it's very contageous, so they can pass it on to other people just by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. in their vicinity. The mask is worn as an act of decency toward your fellow man, not to protect you.

However, I personally have the feeling that it might protect the wearer a little bit, also. Which is certainly an additional reason to wear it!

Gov. Abbott declared today that masks must be worn in all public buildings throughout the state unless the county you are in has less than 20 cases of Covid. Which is almost nowhere. And also outside if social distancing is not possible. So we'll see what effect that has. I hope it works.

What is so difficult about understanding the basic fact that if I have my mask on then my crap doesn't travel and my mask keeps you safe? If you have your mask on as well then we are protecting each other and everyone around us as well as ourselves. How hard is that to understand seriously?

If unmasked person wIth COVID coughs/sneezes, droplets can travel and land on you... you don’t get infected just by breathing it in... if it gets in the Tissue around your eyes, for example, the virus can enter that way

I didn't get the specific locations, but this evening news said that some locales will be issuing fines to those who refuse to wear a mask in public. As this virus continues to infect more and more, I would like to see such a policy enacted across the nation. If, after all the warnings about this virus in recent months, we still have people who are in "denial", perhaps if they take a hit in their wallet, it might get their attention.

The mask is intended to protect other people from whatever you may be carrying, knowingly or not. Therefore, other people should reciprocate by wearing THEIR mask. For crying out loud! Why is it such a freaking big deal to be a little considerate?

The mask is intended to protect other people from whatever you may be carrying, knowingly or not. Therefore, other people should reciprocate by wearing THEIR mask. For crying out loud! Why is it such a freaking big deal to be a little considerate?
Ooooh, aren't we touchy? I wear a mask when I'm shopping - it's required here. Not outside.

Ooooh, aren't we touchy? I wear a mask when I'm shopping - it's required here. Not outside.
There is a limit to how much face mask wearing can be tolerated, and I say that whilst having worn one voluntarily when in shops for some months. When I go outside again its pulled off, or at least pulled down a little, because like it or not a mask restricts breathing, and this will have negative consequences too, (who knows, maybe making some more susceptible to infections?). :unsure: .

It’s not like masks were just invented, for pity sake!
Medical personnel in many areas were wearing them all day, every day in hospitals, & dr offices of certain types back when I was a very young child. A nurse friend of my mom’ s once gave me some medical clothes to wear for Halloween including a cotton mask.

There is a limit to how much face mask wearing can be tolerated, and I say that whilst having worn one voluntarily when in shops for some months. When I go outside again its pulled off, or at least pulled down a little, because like it or not a mask restricts breathing, and this will have negative consequences too, (who knows, maybe making some more susceptible to infections?). :unsure: .

I think it's a lot easier to tolerate a face mask in public than to tolerate a ventilator tube down your throat. If a person can't "tolerate" wearing a mask out in public, then they should just stay home. Just because a person doesn't like wearing a mask does not give them the right to put others' lives at risk.

I really hate wearing a face mask, but so what? It's just selfish to refuse to do something that may protect others. The way cases are rising here, I suspect we'll be wearing masks for quite some time, so we better just get used to it and quit fussing about it.

I think it's a lot easier to tolerate a face mask in public than to tolerate a ventilator tube down your throat. If a person can't "tolerate" wearing a mask out in public, then they should just stay home. Just because a person doesn't like wearing a mask does not give them the right to put others' lives at risk.

I really hate wearing a face mask, but so what? It's just selfish to refuse to do something that may protect others. The way cases are rising here, I suspect we'll be wearing masks for quite some time, so we better just get used to it and quit fussing about it.
Yes, so you may say, and as if we haven't heard it enough put forward the worst case scenario once again. I've said I wear a mask even though its not required here, and especially when in shops, where I believe I'm mostly protecting others. However, you're ignoring my point of the impact a "proper mask", one meeting the high standard required to filter out 99% of particulates, how it impedes breathing, and this in itself strains your lungs or lung tissues. Young fit people having to work in them are given a time limit before taking a break, and there is " dead space", and rebreathing of exhaled air to bear in mind.
Worn perfectly, in perfect condition you may comfort yourself you'll be protected, and I'm not anti mask use, just don't kid me they are a magic bullet!

Last edited:
The issue of Mask wearing has become political for some. The utter ridiculousness of that boggles my mind.

They’re just pieces of cloth, but a passionate portion of the US population sees an attack on individual freedom.

“Reopen NC, a group that opposes shutdown orders in North Carolina, said masks were “muzzles” that, along with things like mandatory temperature checks, were “ways our freedom is being eroded”. The group started a “Burn Your Mask Challenge” where people post videos on social media of themselves burning their masks and use the hashtag “#IgniteFreedom”.
At a meeting of local leaders in Palm Beach, Florida, several people spoke in public about why they were against masks. Reasons varied from anger that masks “throw God’s wonderful breathing system out the door” to invoking a “plan-demic” conspiracy theory.“

“You’re removing our freedoms and stomping on our constitutional rights by these communist dictatorship orders or laws you want to mandate,” one woman said at the hearing.“

An executive order here in Tennessee mandates Mask wearing in stores and businesses etc. SIgns on storefronts request the use of masks while in the store. I personally haven’t seen any pushback from this though My local news has reported some issues.

One of my boys is against the use of them (For the purposes of this post it doesn’t matter the reason) but dons one religiously whenever he goes out because he realizes that this isn’t JUST about him, and has told me several times that if anyone put me at risk by not wearing a mask and he heard about it there would be hell to pay! And that he’d never forgive himself if he put someone else’s Mama at risk either.

As I’ve told him, he is free to hold any opinion he wants, but at the point where his beliefs put my life at risk,that’s where I draw the line. He’s never tested me, and says he won’t ever because he loves me. That’s fine with me.

Just tired of all the bellyaching about this common sense issue.
We're all tired aren't we, tired of hearing government messages, then seeing them undermined inpirit, if not the letter of the law, tired of being lectured to by those ignoring reasonable objections, or pleas to listen to the limitations of any measures we might be required to take! :rolleyes: .

Yes, so you may say, and as if we haven't heard it enough put forward the worst case scenario once again. I've said I wear a mask even though its not required here, and especially when in shops, where I believe I'm mostly protecting others. However, you're ignoring my point of the impact a "proper mask", one meeting the high standard required to filter out 99% of particulates, how it impedes breathing, and this in itself strains your lungs or lung tissues. Young fit people having to work in them are given a time limit before taking a break, and there is " dead space", and rebreathing of exhaled air to bear in mind.
Worn perfectly, in perfect condition you may comfort yourself you'll be protected, and I'm not anti mask use, just don't kid me they are a magic bullet!
Unfortunately, there is no "magic bullet." But a plan of social distancing, masks, hand washing, sanitizing and just plain using common sense is the best we have right now.

Why is it such a freaking big deal to be a little considerate?

There are those who, especially as they grow older, become rather "contrary". If you meet such a person and say that "the sun rises in the East", they will likely argue that "the sun rises in the West". All you can do with such a person is to smile, let them live in their little fantasy world, and move on....and in times like this, maintain some Social Distant from them.

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet, but a plan of social distancing, masks, hand washing, sanitising, and just plain common sense is the best we have right now.
Grahamg wrote
Break
.......as if we haven't heard it enough put forward the worst case scenario once again. I've said I wear a mask even though its not required here, and especially when in shops, where I believe I'm mostly protecting others. However, you're ignoring my point of the impact a "proper mask", ...Break Worn perfectly, in perfect condition you may comfort yourself you'll be protected, and I'm not anti mask use, just don't kid me they are a magic bullet
And all that may only achieve limited success, whilst " for the rest of all eternity" we're stuck in this untenable situation, likely to destroy unthinkable numbers of jobs, unless a genuine magic bullet in the form of a 100% effective vaccine is found. I'll go along with whatever rules are imposed, but doubt the whole world can, when who knows what follows the destruction of our economies!

And all that may only achieve limited success, whilst " for the rest of all eternity" we're stuck in this untenable situation, likely to destroy unthinkable numbers of jobs, unless a genuine magic bullet in the form of a 100% effective vaccine is found. I'll go along with whatever rules are imposed, but doubt the whole world can, when who knows what follows the destruction of our economies!
Hmm, “destroy unthinkable numbers of jobs”? How about destroy an unthinkable amount of people, cause without people there is no need for jobs.

Back