Retirement?? Over my dead body!

I think elderly is when your body begins giving out on you. Your sight goes wonky, then your hearing. Finally, your joints start getting stiff and begin hurting.

I know these things can happen at any age, but the mid-60s seem to be the starting point for most and it doesn't get better from there.

Think cataract surgery, hearing aids, and knee and hip replacements. Am I wrong?
I always thought elderly was 70 and over, but with all these disagreements about different parameters about middle age and senior ages, I think I better shut up (for once!).

I always thought elderly was 70 and over, but with all these disagreements about different parameters about middle age and senior ages, I think I better shut up (for once!).
@Catlady I really don't think you are entirely wrong. For some 70 years is when they feel like a Senior and that is fine. Some others because of life events it just might be earlier than that. It also might even be later for some as well. The thing is as for this forum it is 50 years old.

Ok, brothers & sisters. There are 2 sides to the story here. See it from my point:
1. I have a brother who sold the farm about 12 years ago. His whole life was farming; he had no "hobbies". For the last 12 years he has stashed all his money, that he got from selling the farm, in the bank & sits at home all day watching TV. Never developed any hobbies. His complaints about politics, the weather, people, etc.
2. I live in a senior complex with 116 suites in our building. We have a gym & a common room for coffee time & happy hour. The people here are wonderful & they are enjoying their retirement. Some go down to Arizona or Texas for the winter. They all appear to be well educated, happy & they are a joy to see on a day-to-day basis.
Bottom line is be happy when you retire. If you are going to be an old grouch then it stands to reason that you should never retire but continue working until the day you die. As someone said above, you can't buy back your youth. You have only one shot at life on this planet. Sorry, no 2nd chance! Now, as far as making a lot of money, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO!

The people I've known who never wanted to retire are those who invested more in their careers/jobs than in their family or friendships. This is not meant as a criticism. Everyone should choose our most fulfilling, comfortable path.

p.s. I have indeed known folks who died wishing that they'd been able to spend more days at the office. Their joy and life's purpose came from work.

The people I've known who never wanted to retire are those who invested more in their careers/jobs than in their family or friendships. This is not meant as a criticism. Everyone should choose our most fulfilling, comfortable path.

p.s. I have indeed known folks who died wishing that they'd been able to spend more days at the office. Their joy and life's purpose came from work.
I have a friend that sells real estate. If he quit or retired, I think he would wither and die.

To funny retiring over a dead body.

I retired at 54 and haven't thought about working at anything except helping my neighbors with DIY projects.

I'm a machinist. I program and make parts for the nuclear industry. Exotic metals and tight tolerances +/- 3 microns
It's totally fascinating!
I did a lot of gage lab metrology in my early days with aa exposure to Navy and Air Force parts. +/- 3 microns is my kind of work though I have never had those specs to work with. I did some nuclear NDE work a long time go and I am certain the rules & regulations are much stricter today. They were a major pain in the 60's.

One micron=0.00003937"
I never saw a blueprint with microns as a tolerance. I Googled "micron" also and found the number 0.00003937, which in layman terns would be equal to just under 4/100,000,000ths of an inch. (Or, four, one-hundred millionths of an inch.)

I would never have thought that parts for a nuclear reactor would require such tight tolerances. I can't even imagine any machine that is even capable of machining that tight of a tolerance.

I never saw a blueprint with microns as a tolerance. I Googled "micron" also and found the number 0.00003937, which in layman terns would be equal to just under 4/100,000,000ths of an inch. (Or, four, one-hundred millionths of an inch.)

I would never have thought that parts for a nuclear reactor would require such tight tolerances. I can't even imagine any machine that is even capable of machining that tight of a tolerance.
My 15 axis Nakamura can and does.

Yeah, Holly, what are you now; 32 or 33? I forget. (Throwing things is not allowed.) I just turned 47. No, wait. I was born in ‘47.

Holly and I are about the same age. I think some people just rock it.

Attachments

• 12th house girls.jpg
    12th house girls.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1
I'm a machinist. I program and make parts for the nuclear industry. Exotic metals and tight tolerances +/- 3 microns
It's totally fascinating!

Eh, self-employed moldmaker here, been doing it since 1968, self-employed since 1985.

I'll be 70 this summer and still working because I enjoy it. Having a "job" and being self-employed are not the same thing. I'll keep doing it until I'm physically unable -- I feel like a bum if I'm not working.

I don't have to hustle anymore, but 2019 was a slow year for me; I hope this year is better. I just paid a big bill to have my CNC mill upgraded, now I need some work.

Eh, self-employed moldmaker here, been doing it since 1968, self-employed since 1985.

I'll be 70 this summer and still working because I enjoy it. Having a "job" and being self-employed are not the same thing. I'll keep doing it until I'm physically unable -- I feel like a bum if I'm not working.

I don't have to hustle anymore, but 2019 was a slow year for me; I hope this year is better. I just paid a big bill to have my CNC mill upgraded, now I need some work.
I walked into the shop yesterday to find a 6 inch stack of orders waiting on me. Each order breaks down into 4 separate parts that fit together for the tooling die.

You are blessed to be doing something you love. I liked my career....a lot, but I couldn't wait to retire. Did it a year sooner than I expected, one month before my 51st birthday. In fact, that was my present to myself.

Back