Rhubarb Pie for Thanksgiving

My aunt (by marriage) served rhubarb pie for dessert yesterday, something most people wouldn't expect this time of year, but maybe that the tradition in her immediate family. It was all gone by the end of the day, though.

Last edited:
My husband grows his own rhubarb for pie but prefers it mixed with strawberries. That’s a classic favourite
I've seen rhubarb at Frys. In the future I may try making the pie and see if I like it, am curious now. One of the reviewers said not to be tempted to mix the sugar and rhubarb, that doing so would make the pie soggy. Glad I read that, I usually think mixing everything in a bowl is more ''efficient'' than layering. Love that website because of the helpful hints from the posters.

We grow our own rhubarb. What we don't use immediately, we freeze for later use. We don't make many pies, but rhubarb and ginger jam and rhubarb crumble are favourites with us. Our farming friends also make rhubarb cordial. You can buy it in some European shops, but I've never seen it in the UK.
So the rhubarb freezes well? You mean raw or cooked? How many stalks for one pie, recipe says 4 cups? Is it true, someone said leaves are poisonous, what do you do with leaves? Sorry so many questions.

Last edited:
We just the chop the rhubarb stocks and freeze them raw. Hard to say how many stocks we need for a pie as they vary so much in size. We pick what looks right and if we need another stock, we just go to the garden and pick another.

Yes, the leaves are poisonous. They contain Oxalic acid which can cause death in a large enough dose, but you would need to eat a LOT (about 12+ lbs) of leaves. Smaller doses can cause vomiting and kidney damage.

The leaves can be safely placed on the compost heap. Oxalic acid is broken down in the soil and is not readily absorbed by vegetable roots, so is safe to use.

Back