Rock Star's Wife Cut Out of Will. Mother of Their Children

WhatInThe

Rock Star Rick Ocasek who passed over the last year left his wife out of his will. They had 2 children together. Apparently they were going through a divorce. She is filing to get an automatic 1/3 of estate under NY law.

https://pagesix.com/2020/02/28/paul...er-being-cut-out-of-husband-ric-ocaseks-will/

At first I was thinking maybe she deserved it. But she's mother of his children. They were going through a divorce.

Since I'm in the process of designating beneficiaries and/or writing a will this made me think. I am cutting out certain family members and they will hear about prior to my passing. I'm prearranging funeral and passing related processes as well so family can't even claim reimbursement of funeral expenses. I get it.

Unless someone lives with a married couple, they know absolutely nothing about the relationship. The wife may or may not have deserved to receive nothing. There is a big age difference between them; he was 75, she's 54. He may have realized she married him for his money.
The fact that she's the mother of his children means nothing; if she is selfish, she wouldn't have spent any of the money on her children & he probably knew it.

IMO it's never a good idea to weaponize your will or disclose the contents of it until you are at death's door.

deaths-door.jpg

IMO it's never a good idea to weaponize your will or disclose the contents of it until you are at death's door.

deaths-door.jpg
Maybe you're right my ghost/spirit will get to see the look on their face anyway. The shock, the disappointment, the ' I was cheated' moment. But surprise would have much more effect with them assuming they were going to get something.

My opinion is not a popular one, but I think we should not treat the death of anyone like a winning lottery ticket. People should leave their money to whomever or whatever they please. Death should not be the grand payoff.

I agree but I've seen non millionaire heirs actually count on their inheritance years before the person passes. I've also seen people get upset because they were not left an insurance company payout. But most people worry about life insurance when they are younger so if something happens they wouldn't leave a young spouse and children without. But if someone over 50-60 years old is counting on inheritance they have issues, they are not exactly a parentless young child..

I always viewed inheritance as free money. Accept it and move on.

Back