Romance scams are on the rise across the U.S.

Nobody is trying to scam little old me - guess I'm too poor! But, I have seen horrific tales on the news of women who were taken for tens of thousands of dollars.

Women who get "dumped" in their senior years are probably the most vulnerable. They need to feel desired, at any cost. It is truly sad.

I get Facebook friend requests from guys a lot. When you look at their profile, they only have one or two pictures. I accepted one once just to see and almost immediately got a message. Hi! How are you? I deleted that one quickly.

I also play a word game on my phone that has a chat feature. Every now and then someone will invite me to play and immediately start chatting me up. One guy practically asked me to marry him before the game ended. So creepy.

I just had another "man" try to fool me on a dating site. He had a picture of himself and yet said he was 62. The picture did not look like a 62 year old man but that's not what gave him away. He told me where he lived and then said it was such and such kms. away from a certain town. We don't use metric here. That's what gave him away. I then told him he is not for real and we don't go by kms. He never answered back.

He blocked me after that. And I was glad...I don't need some phoney baloney! :cautious:

Hmmmm..............for about 10 seconds I considered joining one of those sites, but my honesty and good sense stopped me in my tracks............. Well, can you imagine throngs of beautiful, Gina Lollobrigida lookalike, women queueing up around the block to come and meet a penniless, Shrek, lookalike like me......oh, you can, now there's a surprise? 😊

When I first signed up with Match.com, I got several of the scam responses. Most of them went like this:

"Hello, my darling. I am man looking for good wife. I have falling in love with you picture at once. I want get married right away and have baby. Waiting to hear from you, my darling."

Trolling 60-year-old women with a line like that?
And the next line would be “ Would like to see you but my missionary work doesn’t pay enough for a plane ticket. If you could send me $10,000 we could meet and be together forever”🙄

When I first signed up with Match.com, I got several of the scam responses. Most of them went like this:

"Hello, my darling. I am man looking for good wife. I have falling in love with you picture at once. I want get married right away and have baby. Waiting to hear from you, my darling."

Trolling 60-year-old women with a line like that?
Have you ever wondered why those "Your rich Nigerian uncle died and left you a fortune I need $500 to retrieve for you" emails are so crudely written? It's for the benefit of the sender.

They know that if they try to sound legit, they'll get a number of skeptical respondents who will only follow through so far, and then leave. This would be a massive waste of the scammer's time. So they write the letters in a fashion that filters out those who know better. Anyone who responds to something that others can see right through has a higher degree of likelihood of following the scam all the way to conclusion.

I suspect those responses you got are [sadly] along the same lines.
They filtered you out.

Last edited:
I get Facebook friend requests from guys a lot. When you look at their profile, they only have one or two pictures. I accepted one once just to see and almost immediately got a message. Hi! How are you? I deleted that one quickly.

I also play a word game on my phone that has a chat feature. Every now and then someone will invite me to play and immediately start chatting me up. One guy practically asked me to marry him before the game ended. So creepy.
I don't do chats ses these dating sites want you to chat with a stranger. I went through this long long ago and the results was rape. Not me, the neighbor across the street. I always move to a place with security doors. This one has two before you can enter the elevator. It happened on R.I., I was first time in chat rooms and there was no one in any. Except one named WIThersPOON as in the movie star. I guess later on. As the report came the name as WIThersPOON did the dirty deed. Turned out it was a African American young man.
Happened on Vine Street. My daughter had been staying with me for a few days and was in the driveway with her bf...said to me after the fact that someone was outside my parking lot. She thought seemed strange. Since she was talking with her bf for a while and noticed him out there where no others would be the area is known for families.
Found out later it was the person on the chat rooms as they call flaming me. I argued with that person...then I looked out my picture window and saw a crime Van at the one family cottage the husband was a postal delivery man who left early in the morning for work. Still dark out ....I guessed. She had three children toddler, baby and Catholic school first grader. The name is what was the giveaway. Read in the paper he was from North Carolina.....came all that way to rape a white woman who was a young married woman with her children there. I remember....the house went up for sale. So....chats are not good . yet this site mentioned they do not screen for criminal convictions. Says a lot.....It seems some have been raped on these dates.
Dating for Seniors. eHarmony which may be safer. There are all kinds of low life animals out there. No class what so ever.

I don't get any romance emails ☹

(j/k with the sad face...but it's true I don't get that type of email spam)
I applied on three. This woman was telling me of her dating lineup with several men. Seems she may meet them for a drink and if she likes him she will stay and drink more to the point of too much. I don't believe she is really interested in a ongoing relationship. She is younger and pretty very pretty blonde. I think she said Match.com. She told me of each as in right. Though may only date two. Other states, careers I think her father was in politics. She never married. She's on her late fifties.
Anyway she seems to have it down to a system. She only started After bring solo for a while. Signing off for now.....

Back