S&H Green Stamp Ashtray

Though they may not have been S&H, we had similar incentives & stamps in Canada. Now it’s all about our loyalty cards.

When I was a kid if I didn't go to church with my mother my penance was to stay home and paste green stamps into books. After she left I set up a workstation on a TV tray in front of the television and used a damp sponge to moisten the glue. By the time my mother got home from church, my little workstation was put away and the stack of filled books was on the kitchen table. I think it bothered her that I didn't complain or view the assignment as a form of punishment. That gave me some small satisfaction. :giggle:

It seems like the only time we redeemed them was when my mother was broke and needed a cheap and flashy wedding, anniversary, or birthday present.

9efe7743dc03be39c6a80ee207c87c66

We had Green Shield stamps and pink stamps here too... my mother would fill several books and we children would be sent to the 'catalogue store'' in town to buy a kettle or an iron with the filled books...

I remember green stamps and helped put them in the books.. My mom saved up enough to but a few nice lawn chairs and we had them for years. She had a few books left over and I was able to get a toy that I wanted.

Back