Sarcasm, puns, and other nuances of the English language

GeorgiaXplant

Many people miss the meaning of the above or have to have jokes explained to them. I've read that it can be one of the symptoms of being on the autism spectrum, specifically Aspberger's. Not that it's always the case, just that it can be.

I find idioms particularly interesting. When we started working with an engineering team in India back in the late 90's during our meetings sometimes one of us would say something such as "That's a horse of a different color" or "He thought it was the bees knees" that are fairly well known here in the US and it would completely confuse the team. We'd end up having to explain what we meant during our conference calls.

I read somewhere that sarcasm is a sign of intelligence. I don't think some people are bright enough to understand it that's why they gotta ask.

This is what I love about the English language - the subtlety of the spoken word, the regional differences and the playfulness that is possible.

We say something that is extra special is "the bee's knees and the ant's pajamas". That would surely confuse your engineering team in India.
Have not heard the "ant's pajamas", but have heard of the "cat's pyjamas" :)

I read somewhere that sarcasm is a sign of intelligence. I don't think some people are bright enough to understand it that's why they gotta ask.
I've never heard that, but I certainly don't agree with it.

(c/p)
Definition of sarcasm. : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain.
. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to express contempt or ridicule.
. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
. In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for
destructive purposes

I've never heard that, but I certainly don't agree with it.

(c/p)
Definition of sarcasm. : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain.
. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to express contempt or ridicule.
. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
. In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for
destructive purposes
To each their own.

Back