Savory Three Bean Bake

Three Bean Baked Beans (a savory bean casserole)

3 -15 oz. cans of three different colored beans, drained (I find black beans, navy beans and pinto beans work well, but have also used black eyes peas, soy beans and Great Northern beans in various combos)

1 cup cooked ham cut in ¼” cubes or 2 cans chunk ham, flaked (the meat may be omitted if you desire a vegetarian style dish)

Mix all above ingredients together in a cooking pot.

Prepare sauce:

½ cup chili sauce

½ cup barbecue sauce

¼ cup dark molasses

¼ cup steak sauce

2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp. brown prepared mustard (or 1 tsp. dry powdered mustard)

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. onion powder

(optional, if you desire a more spicy variety)

½ tsp. cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce

Mix all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and warm to a simmer, stirring occasionally. When warm, pour over beans and mix to distribute. Bake at 350o for 1 hour until hot and bubbly.

Last edited:
Debodun,beans (800x600).jpgI just tried these baked beans and my family loved them. I found them to be a bit to sweet for my taste but did like them. I'll try a less sweet Barbecue sauce next time. I had to use small pink beans,black beans and small white beans only because the hubby hates large mealy beans. I loved the consistency of them, not all soupy like some canned varieties. The recipe calls for a lot of ingredients but I had them all on hand and it went together quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Most people around here make baked beans on the sweet side by adding brown sugar, molasses or both. You can leave out the molasses if you don't like them on the sweet side. I remember in high school talking about beans to another kid in class. He said his mother only put a little chopped onion in hers. That would seem kind of bland to me.

I have this almost exact recipe and really love the flavors! The only thing I do differently is use fried bacon pieces instead of ham. I have a daughter-in-law who doesn't like the ham. But the bacon works wonderfully instead!

Back