Scenes in movies that really moved you

hypochondriac

Chariots of Fire
Main character gives a speech after one of his races.
"you came here to see a race today. to see someone win.
It happened to be me.
But I want to compare life to running a race .........."

so moving i don't know if i can even type this...

the original (netflix revised it) last scenes in "The Notebook" where Noah and Allie (gina rowlands & james garner) have grown old...she has dementia and drifts in and out of memory. she looks at noah who has been sharing memories of their young love together as if she as if she can comprehend and then her memory drifts in and she says "oh yes, I remember you. that was us" then drifts back and they cry. Great acting and setting.

she's dying and he sneaks into her hospital room after hours but she has passed. he crawls into bed with her and the nurse finds them both having passed on.

i know "moving scenes" doesn't necessarily mean sad so i'll try to lighten up with my next post

Imitation of Life
One of the themes is a young woman passing for white. Her mother still sacrifices for her. Towards the end, this mother dies and her daughter falls apart.
I was only 9 or 10 (this was 1959). I cried so hard at that scene my embarrassed older sister left me in the theater alone and....................

OMG, I just had an off-topic revelation. Decades later, shortly after my husband died I was sitting with my sister at the shallow end of a pool and I cried and she left me alone, sitting there helplessly by myself, just as she did all those years ago. Never made this connection until right this minute.

The execution scene in Breaker Morant. The two men walk silently to the chairs waiting for them, heads up and backs straight, but they are holding hands. They sit facing the firing squad without blindfolds. The Breaker, played by Edward Woodward instructs the soldiers to, "Shoot straight, you bastards" as they aim at his heart. They do and we see the bodies being placed in the waiting coffins but one of them is too short for the taller man, played by Bryan Brown. It is a very poignant scene.

Back