Science Fiction Movies

Marie5656

While I have never been a huge fan, there are some I rather like. And we are not talking about the Star Wars/Star Trek line. Just other SF movies.

A couple I like are Logan's Run from 1976. An almost utopian society, with one drawback...every one must die at age 30.

Then there is THEM! from the 50's. The usual post atomic testing movie..this with giant ants. And of course, Independance Day or any of the Men in Black movies.

Another one that gave me nightmares was "The Day the World Ended". The guy covered in "scales" from the radioactivity had the starring role in my nightmares for weeks.

My mother would be livid when my dad or grandmother would take me to see horror or sci-fi movies when I was a kid. She was the one who had to get up in the middle of the night when I had the screaming meemies.

We used to watch the old horror and sci-fi movies on TV on Friday nights and they wouldn't bother me, but let me see them at the theater...…...nightmare time.

I liked the first Star Wars movie. After that one, not so much. Some favorites are: the first War of the Worlds, the first Day the Earth Stood Still, and Forbidden Planet. The Thing scared the heck out of me when I was a kid. I'm also fond of Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. which I have a copy of. Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen and Signourney Weaver was fun.

I'm way too old for any involvement with the ladies unless it is to become friends.
However, as faulty as my memory is, when Star Trek Voyager added Seven of Nine it became verrrrrrrry interesting.'

The Forbidden Planet with Robbie the robot was disdained when released in 56, actually, it is quite good given the state or special effects in that era.
The TV series with Robbie was mush.

The Krell's Monster from the Id, was remember in school and at work-how else to explain abnormal behavior beyond explanation.
I'm still using the Monster from the Id as a construct in my thinking, writing-psychobabble does not sufficiently explain what
evil is, or what the mind is capable of, this is the only phrase I can use to attempt my feeble explanation of the crazed behavior of some elements within our society.

Aunt Bea:

Eastwood is a sf flick, naw, not Rowdy (his character on cow-drive western series) couldn't happen, maybe he got transported by aliens when he was town-taming-yea, must'a been

Is allowed to poke fun at icons-yes?
Eastwood's 'steely gaze,' Yea, seen it, several times...I thought he has the look of a man terribly constipated, hoping someone can directed him to a restroom-quick! Honest, never could figure what his expression was about, confused, lost for words, constipated, ...

Aunt Bea:
Watching PBS history of Country: guess who appeared in a sf movie?
None other than Gene Autry, not to worry, part of the plot was, he had to escaped in time to sing his cowboy songs on his radio show.
He did.

Like Aunt Bea I like the old stupid cheap B movies when it comes to Sci-fi. They are not scary but funny and I look for all the cheap props and really bad acting. However the original Frankenstein and Dracula I have watched over and over. Last week there was a really bad one starring Joan Crawford when her career was all but over. The monster consisted of a guy with a gorilla mask and a spear. Truely a low budget clunker.

The Day of the Triffids was one of my favourites. Read the book first, then watched the film. Blakes 7 was one I enjoyed, even though the action scenes always seemed to be in a dis-used quarry...I recognised the plants (lots of buddliea).

Dr. Who-no, could not deal with that flying phone booth in the oldies.

2001 A Space Odyssey: understood the infant represented a new beginning But the monoliths-what were they?
film drug, drug...Goggle has several brainy folks giving their explanation: goobly-gook.
Fella wanted to make a brilliant film...it wasn't.

anyone want to offer an explanation on the monoliths? sentries?
we only know of one way to produce an infant, so how did the monoliths produce the star child?

Psycho in black and white...so suspenseful....
The Twilight Zone, but not a movie....I still watch the b/w reruns on tv.....
Jurassic Park...
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Planet of the Apes

Would the original version of “Planet of the Apes” be Sci-Fi? I liked it. The costumes intrigued me. I also enjoyed the interview with Roddy McDowell.

My all time favorite Science Fiction movie is the first "Tremors" movie.

Do you remember an old B & W movie called "The Monolith Monsters"?

Have shown this film to teenagers that thought it was so cool, yet today. Sometimes I think they have too many special effects in the si fi movies today. It was one of my
favs:

Trade:
'Tremors" dumb movie, but I'm hooked. I make it a point to watch all of them. There have been at least four,,
Was the gun nut named Bert? He was a hoot, I liked him, He quit after the second or third movie.

Another really dumb movie: 'The Blob' with Steve McQueen, dumber me.
Then there was 'The Birds'...I didn't get, scary=why? Okay, the birds are eating us up just go buy lots of bird seed, make the birds happy or get your shotgun. It was worse than dumb: silly

Trade:
'Tremors" dumb movie, but I'm hooked. I make it a point to watch all of them. There have been at least four,,
Was the gun nut named Bert? He was a hoot, I liked him, He quit after the second or third movie.

Another really dumb movie: 'The Blob' with Steve McQueen, dumber me.
Then there was 'The Birds'...I didn't get, scary=why? Okay, the birds are eating us up just go buy lots of bird seed, make the birds happy or get your shotgun. It was worse than dumb: silly
That Hitchcock movie "The Birds" scared the fruit juice out of my big strong, ex football playing guy. He still gets the shivers when a commercial comes on TV. Hitch was the best...look at Psycho. That's why I didn't take a shower for years...lol. To each his or her own brand of terror, obviously.

Back