Scuba Diving

Mr. Ed

Life does not deserve my gratitude.
First day of scuba diving class this morning, one hour of textbook discusssion, I read most of the material but did not complete questions at end of chapter so I wasn't graded on learned material

Cost of classs including mask, snorkle, underwater boots and fins was under $850.00

At the pool, I learned how inflate/deflate diving jacket, attach hoses, weights and mounted air cylindar.

Swim test lenght of pool, next with mask the with snorkle.

Scuba jacket fully mounted in shallow area, the pool lenght. In full gear float with both armes in the air-successfully completed.

Initially I pumped my legs like riding a bicycle, instead, one must kick from the hips, not easy as it seems.

No problem underwater with snorkle or in full diving gear.

Very Cool!

I had wondered if you'd passed your doctor's tests, and were on to the classes,
so it's nice to see the feedback.

Wow, that is quite an adventure!
I am glad that you are able to do something that interests you!

tenor.gif

Although my first experience swimming underwater was limited to 8 ft of water vinyl filled pool, it was exciting just the same. I didn’t have any difficulty at all. Next lesson is the 24th of this month, then through July and hopefully become a fully certified diver.
There is a river below my house that appears deep enough to snorkel, although most river activities comprised boating and fishing, only a few people swim there.
According to reports, New York State Parks allows swimming in small numbers. But so far I haven’t run across anybody swimming yet.
I am grateful to my acupuncturist, of which I could not use my injured foot otherwise.

Have fun but take care. River boaters are not accustomed to snorkelers so have a very visible dive flag out when you're exploring there.

Dave and I learned to scuba dive in the 90's. His idea. I had trouble with the mask clearing thing, so I sat in the bathtub and practiced until I got the hang of it. One thing you can't practice in a pool is entering the water like a Navy seal, by flipping over backwards from the side of a boat. Seemed very scary until I actually did it, and then I enjoyed it. Our first open water dive was in Cozumel. I had a wonderfully kind dive guide who kept me calm, held my hand for the first few minutes, and made that first scary dive a real pleasure. We don't dive anymore, alas, but I've got some great memories. Have fun!

Have fun but take care. River boaters are not accustomed to snorkelers so have a very visible dive flag out when you're exploring there.
Sound advise, the location is a kayak and canoe landing site. However, I am uncertain how to post a visible flag in a current driven river? The water is not overly deep but after a rain shower the can become treacherous.

For now, I am studying PADI Open Water Diver Manual and waiting for next weeks 2nd session. The temperature has been unusually cold and next week's session there is a 50% chance of rain.

According to schedule and if I pass all of classroom and water exercises I should be certified by the end of July.

Back