Seller squats/stays in home 15 months after they sold it.

WhatInThe

A house seller in California stayed/squatted in the home he sold to a couple 15 months prior. The new owners had trouble getting them out because of virus associated mandates on no evictions(but it wasn't a rented house???).

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...-riverside-couple-finally-kick-squatters-out/

15 months of free mortgage and insurance payments. To me the seller was a conman and should be promptly sued if he hasn't already because he got $560K. I'd say the new/proper owners deserve at least $100K of that. I can't believe there isn't a crime he couldn't be charged with.

A friend of mine who lives in Cali posted about this. I feel so sorry for the buyers! I agree with everything you posted WiT. I hope they don't have problems trying to sell the house since that's what they've decided they want to do.

I've read of homeless folks taking over an abandoned house which in some ways makes sense. But, refusing to leave the house you sell? That's just nuts.

Now I’m trying to remember the process in this province. The buyers give their money to their lawyer. A few days before closing, he gives it to the purchasers’ lawyer and keys on the days closing are exchanged. All the utilities are in the new owner’s name on the day of closing so these people who didn’t leave are getting that free too. What a nightmare.

Hopefully the lawyer holding the funds hasn’t turned it over.

A lot of people don't realize that "squatters rights" are still alive and well in the state of Calif. (and maybe other states too). It's called Adverse Possession of Property. (A sibling and I found out about it when preparing for the possibility of another family member staying in a home after the owner's death.)

That particular kind of "squatting" is fraud and would very likely be handled in similar fashion that stealing a horse was handled 140 years ago here in the New Mexico desert, barring any other legal means bringing faster relief.

Back