Senior, elderly, mature or other?

I've been thinking about the words we use to describe older people. "Seniors" is too broad of a term to describe all of us from 55 to 100. So how do we divide up that range? I'm 84 so I think of myself as elderly although I'm pretty gimped and I was wondering if geriatric would be a better term and my interests are different from those in the younger range. There are many other words for classifications of seniors. How do you classify yourself?

At 64, I still gulp when I see Senior printed on my movie ticket but as long as I'm getting the discount I'm okay with it. ;) I'm happy to be retired and not have the stress of my former career, and I look forward to turning 65 and having access to Medicare.

I just think of myself as "older". I was called "sir" by younger people when I was in my 40's, so I guess I've just grown used to it. I really don't ever think of my age in my everyday life.

"Old" is a relative term. Kids think people who are 40 are "old"... LOLOLOLOL! I guess we're old...er when we're 65. 75 is just old, the 80's are elderly, and anything after that is just plain decrepit, lol. Very polite people call us mature. Although age isn't always indicative of maturity, is it? How about "older adults"? I dunno, somebody else is going to have to come up with better terms for those of us who are over 65.

I don't care what they call me... biddy, old bag, fossil, blue hair, dinosaur, old bat... as long as I get the discount, lol... but I dislike being called "Sweetie". Don't call me Sweetie, you young whipper-snapper!

How do you classify yourself?

Lucky to be alive! 😊

Ruby ✌️

Many years ago I remember my mom having light hearted fits when people asked if she was a Senior...until she realized if she said yes, she got a discount. I. on the other hand, always ask if there is a discount
That's some thing I keep forgetting to ask for... ..I'm ok with senior at 67, it denotes something more experienced I think, rather than someone elderly..

I was 50 years old when I bought a ticket for an IMAX movie in Spokane Washington. They gave me the senior discount without even asking my age. And I've always looked young for my age. I experienced a mixture of surprise, dread, and offense, but never demanded the young people's surcharge. I just took the ticket.

I've been thinking about the words we use to describe older people. "Seniors" is too broad of a term to describe all of us from 55 to 100. So how do we divide up that range? I'm 84 so I think of myself as elderly although I'm pretty gimped and I was wondering if geriatric would be a better term and my interests are different from those in the younger range. There are many other words for classifications of seniors. How do you classify yourself?
When I turned 50 (maybe it was 60) I saw the term geriatric on some official document in reference to me......(???)
Pissed me off
Geri freaking atric?!
I was building cabins up in the mountains, for cryin' out loud!

mean me.jpg

Now, at 73?
Most any term is fine
Kinda settled into Geezer

Feeble
and senile are waiting in the wings

WTZAT.jpg

There are many other words for classifications of seniors. How do you classify yourself?
Anything that comes with a discount is ok with me!

Actually I always have and probably always will consider seniors, elderly, old etc to be people older than me. I don't think I'll ever get there. Though the mark does keep moving back, amazing how much older old people are getting!

Back