Senior Personals Sites

TabbyAnn

Southern Indiana, U.S.A.
What has your experience been with Senior Personals Sites for meeting people? Many don't advertise their cost until you have filled out part of their application. SeniorsMeet does this. They keep saying FREE browsing, etc. encouraging you to register and then when you do they tell you the monthly fee.

I don't go to them as I am married but I can tell you a true story.

Guy next door and his wife split up, he joined a dating site and one of his matches turned out to be his wife.

And eventually they got back together and are still together but to this day he has never told her that he joined the site also. He never put a picture of himself in so she is none the wiser.

But story aside I think there are plenty of "matches" made this way. Just be careful to meet the first few times in public places. You take your chances meeting anyone, anytime, anywhere.

As with anything on the internet you need to be very cautious. Butterfly warns of horror stories and I'm sure there are some of those, but the internet dating sites also have an awful lot of happy stories to tell. My son on his second go around after a divorce used match.com and dated a series of women all of whom lived up to expectations and one of which he married.
I'm sure there are a bunch of reputable senior personal sites you just have to be cautious and careful. Good luck TabbyAnn

Get into an MMO, especially those who claim to be free, and it's the same thing. You will need to pay extra for the premium stuff that you need to play the game with unless you are a real, expert hard-core gamer who can craft anything. Thank me for my cash, Kings Isle!

No, as has been said, just exercise caution when poking around on internet sites of any sort. They are there to make money. Just judge if the cost is worth it to you and go from there. Internet is both a wonderful and terrible place. Enjoy but exercise caution.

I don't go to them as I am married but I can tell you a true story.

Guy next door and his wife split up, he joined a dating site and one of his matches turned out to be his wife.

And eventually they got back together and are still together but to this day he has never told her that he joined the site also. He never put a picture of himself in so she is none the wiser.

But story aside I think there are plenty of "matches" made this way. Just be careful to meet the first few times in public places. You take your chances meeting anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Too funny and too cute but it made me think of this song for some strange reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsj2wdFDmLk

I turned to internet sites when I started dating again; it's hard to meet someone my age....there was no one at work to date (and it's always a bad idea to date someone you work with, anyway), I don't go to bars, I don't go to church, I don't go to sporting events and nobody was fixing me up with anyone (terrible idea....I gave up on fixing people up after a couple of disasters).

I did try a senior site, but it seemed that most of the guys there were looking for younger women and *that* I'm not. I used eHarmony (what a waste of money THAT was.....they kept matching me with guys who had joined for a free weekend months ago and never came back to the site) and Match.com.

I wasn't having any luck meeting Mr. Right, but I did meet his black-sheep cousins, Mr. Sleezy, Mr. Cheap, Mr. Depressed, Mr. Bankrupt, Mr. Still-Married-But-His-Wife-Doesn't-Understand-Him, Mr. Bitter, Mr. Looking-for-a-Nurse, Mr. Looking-for-a-Purse, Mr. Looking-for-a-Nurse-AND-a Purse, and Mr. Weird-as-Hell, to name a few. I thought at that point, I'd try meeting some widowed fellows who, like me, had had good marriages and might be receptive to another long-term relationship. Three-strikes-and-you're-out there, too. I met one guy for breakfast and asked how long his wife had been gone; he said it will be three weeks on Thursday......skeeved me out majorly... Went out with another widower several times until I realized he was not going to get over the feeling that he was "cheating" on his late wife. Another guy had a 15-year-old daughter who called him eight times on our first date and seven times on the second date. He said she was very unhappy that he was dating and I realized that I wasn't interested in taking on a sulky adolescent.....been there, done that, not going there again.

Somebody suggested Plentyoffish.com. It was free, so I registered. It didn't take long to see that it was mostly a "hook-up" site and geared to a much younger crowd, but miracle of miracles, here was this guy, right age, retired, had his own house, solvent and financially responsible, looking for a permanent relationship and wanted to travel all over the country in an RV. Ding-ding-ding!!! It was LIKE at first sight, turned into love, and almost 5 1/2 years later, here we are.

So, in my case, dating sites DO work. You just have to kiss a lot of frogs first before you find your prince.

There is an outfit over here that does everything for
the over 50s, it is called SAGA, it insures your car,
finds holiday etc.

I joined their forum thinking that it was something
similar to this.

Boy was I wrong, women were (Digitally) throwing
themselves at me, I had many offers of different
things, meals, dancing, walks, holidays, cruises,
etc., etc., etc.

I was an Ex-Member within the week, NO I didn't
accept any offers.

Mike.

I joined an over 50's site, not looking for dating prospects, but, they bombard you with all kinds of stuff for you to look into including their dating partner site which is why I haven't been back there in over a week now. It sweet like candy, but every day, the people running the site were messaging me with ideas on how to make usage of the site and how they met their partner though the site. :aargh: Imagine blocking the site moderators/owners, I should go over and see just how many new messages are awaiting me at this time from them..

Well there weren't a lot of messages, just two, but this one in reference to dating:

Not interested in online dating? Read no further!

As you may well know, Mila and I met on our dating site just over 3 years ago and this time of year is one of the busiest for online dating.

The xxxxxxxxxxx site is completely free to join, search and match and now has*

• Freephone support 9am-10:30pm 7 days a week
  • Live 'chat' support if you prefer not to talk on the phone
  • Positive vetting of members to eliminate rogue daters
  • Over 1.5 million UK daters
  • Is run for us by the organisation whose experts were used last year by 'The Apprentice' TV series for their dating task -
=======================

I'm thinking they message you according to when you are signed in. Not that there's any thing wrong with promoting their business, but, I don't want to receive these messages everytime I sign into the site. Usually it's up to 4 messages making suggestion about how to get better use out of the site. Leave me alone, I'm an adult, well most of the time, if I have any questions I will ask.

Anyway, I ran into a few people I personally knew on a dating site once or twice, one very, on the surface any way, refined, dignified man who was checking out my profile, when I ran into him at one of our groups he did everything in his power to make like he was invisible greeting others and avoiding eye contact with me. Next time I saw him on the site, I just told him to cut the nonsense, I wouldn't ever share his dealings with others we both know so he had nothing to worry about. Next time we ran into one another he was much more engaging. Anyway, I find most of what's on these sites ghastly as far as personalities, so no interest really. Been there done that.

Jujube, Plenty of Fish was the dating site our friend used also to "see" his wife on there. Glad it worked out for you.

The only thing wrong with the site is that to quit you have to answer sooooo many questions in order to opt out. I know, he used my computor.

I have a relative who's married to a millionaire. The marriage is going down the drain and they will be divorcing soon. Funny thing: they both found out that each other is now on one of those "millionaire dating" sites. He's looking for a new trophy wife and she's looking for a new millionaire. And the saga continues...

Millionaire dating site? Sounds like my kind of women mat be there who believe that love is more important than money as I have none... :love_heart:

Met my wife, 15 years ago, thru a Personal Ad that I placed in a local magazine. A Replier could either leave a voice message for me to pick up on a special "voice messaging" area set up by the magazine or send me a note/letter which would go to the magazine first and they'd forward it to me. In my ad, I told EXACTLY what I looked like, along with my age, height/weight. I said that I had no tattoo's or body piercings and that was a huge plus to my wife! I also stated my hobbies and that I worked a full-time job. She left a message in the magazine Voice Message area and I called her. After an about an hour of talking, and finding out that we both liked Country music/dancing, Western attire and rodeo, we decided to meet at a local Denny's. I was there first and when she walked in, I 100% KNEW that she was "Mrs. Right"! She didn't have to say a word, just looking at her and what she was wearing. I had never seen a pair of Roper brand jeans and a Resistol cowboy hat fit so nice on a lady before! As for me, I looked like I had just arrived to rope at a rodeo. A year later, we were married in a "Cowboy" type wedding.

A year before meeting my wife, I did talk with a gal in a "cowboy" type instant-messaging website online, who lived just north of Denver, CO. After talking online a number of times, I asked her if she wanted to come out to So Calif to see me. She said "ok" and she set up the flight and I got a couple of days off from work. She did send me a photo of herself..........believe it or not, in a "nighty" sitting on her bed. I was a little shocked, but didn't say anything. She was nice looking, but wasn't nearly as Country/Cowgirlish as she told me she was. She didn't know how to 2-step at all and didn't have a clue what went on at a rodeo. And, she didn't stay at a hotel during her visit, she stayed at my place.......that's all I will say about that w/a :)! Our little "fling" ended after she left. Didn't bother me.

One thing for sure, there are too many divorced or widowed men and women who complain about being lonely, yet do nothing about it. Fear of whatever comes into play, but the "complaining" still continues. Well, I guess we all have to complain about something in our lives........especially at this age!

Sure am glad that I continued to DO something about it, until I finally found her. Took me long enough, but it did happen.

I always have to chuckle at the warnings of horror stories and the implied "stigma" against online dating sites. As mentioned up thread, if you do not go to bars, do not go to church, or work, or have a vast network of friends and acquaintances just itching to "fix you up".. WHERE are people our age going to meet an acceptable partner? It's not like they are going walk up and ring your doorbell.. As also stated, you need to be cautious, but that goes for meeting people out in the general public too.. Same rules apply.. use common sense and go with your gut instinct. There is no guarantee that the "nice guy" your best friend's brother's friend has picked out for you won't be a real loser too.

Met and married my wonderful husband 12 years ago, after meeting up on match.com.. BEST decision I ever made.

Thanks for all of your input on dating sites. I’ve heard of many of the problems you mentioned. Dr. Phil had a week long series on “Catfish” – those who put false photos and false information on dating sites. And I’m aware of the older men who get “stuck in time” and can only be attracted to young women of their youth even though young women aren’t attracted to them any longer. Perhaps we are all that way to some extent, but I can enjoy platonic companionship and a variety of dining and dating activities with intelligent men, regardless of their age or physique. I don’t feel every encounter has to meet marriage specifications. I may consider some of the sites you mentioned. Sorry to hear that some of them require you to answer a lot of questions in order to cancel your listing however. That's as bad as saying FREE until you register your information and then they give you a price.

As with anything on the internet you need to be very cautious. Butterfly warns of horror stories and I'm sure there are some of those, but the internet dating sites also have an awful lot of happy stories to tell. My son on his second go around after a divorce used match.com and dated a series of women all of whom lived up to expectations and one of which he married.
I'm sure there are a bunch of reputable senior personal sites you just have to be cautious and careful. Good luck TabbyAnn
I had a cousin that found all 3 of his wives on Match.com.
All 3 ended up being crazy.

I stay away from them. I was on a site in the U.K. that was for 50+ and kept getting hit on by every guy who said hello to me. I complained to an administrator named Mila and she told me to give her the names and she would ban them. I guess they did a fair job of doing this, but I grew tired of it all. Did meet a couple of nice people thought including Maisie who was here at one time.

I joined their forum thinking that it was something
similar to this.

Boy was I wrong, women were (Digitally) throwing
themselves at me, I had many offers of different
things, meals, dancing, walks, holidays, cruises,
etc., etc., etc. _ Mike

The first time I walked into my local senior center, it was the same as Mike's experience. The place was wall to wall widows. I guess men are a lot more fragile than we think. I never really thought of myself as a stud,, I never had that many eager eyes on me. I didn't like the "free" dating sites. The people on them were interested in just one nighters,, or lying their heads off.

I thought about joining, but asked myself if I wanted to go through all that dating BS again...like behaving with manners, trying to impress, dressing up, picking up the tab, showering, etc.

Back