Seniors Here Who Live Alone, Would You Have Someone Share Your Home With You If You Could?

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
I know that some seniors here do live alone, they've either lost their spouse/partner or have divorced. Some are content and even embrace living alone, while others seem to long for company.

I've been with my husband now well over forty years, and I often think that if anything would happen to him, I'd prefer to stay in our house and stay living alone. Of course I don't know how I'd really feel unless that happened, and loneliness might set in and I might desire a friend to talk to. I'm already quite sure that I wouldn't seek another relationship with a man, but I might want a woman to share my home just as a roommate.

For seniors here who live alone now, are you content to stay that way? Do you ever think you might want someone living under your roof with you, as company or help with something when needed? Has anyone here actually welcomed living alone and the independence it gives you?

Living alone is best for me and the rest of the world, LOL!!!

I would allow a young person to move in with me until they finished school and got started in life, if I felt they had absolutely no other options, but I would hate every minute of it.

I have also thought about buying a two family house with the idea that I would allow someone to live in an apartment in exchange for taking care of the property and providing some assistance to me, sort of my own personal version of assisted living.

For me it would need to just happen and not be part of any plan.

I know here, in our senior community, several not married couples double up and live together. It's a matter of income and living together pays the bills and they watch out for each other. As one gets older, companionship can be a good thing. Although, there are others who prefer to live alone. I would prefer the latter, as long as I can take care of myself.

I was thinking of this same topic last night.

I do live alone.

But. When you really get down to it you are alone even if you are with company. You basically have to look after yourself even if you are hooked up.

You have had to do it all your life. Job interviews. Work. Personal worries. Money.

When you approach it that way life becomes easier.

To live in 24/7, just to be there to help with things when needed? No way.

Companionship? Only if it were a *very* special person, not just someone there to talk to. I don't want to talk that often. I'd rather just go to lunch with someone every day, and get all my talking done that way.

I would never contemplate having someone living in my home with me.

I like the freedom to do what I want, when I want to do it, without having to consider another person.

I'm happy living alone, with my dog. She provides me with companionship, and I volunteer at an op shop on three mornings a week, and get to talk to people there.

If my house were big enough for the both of us to have privacy and space, say a second story with its own bathroom, then yes I would consider it. The extra income from renting a room would be most welcome. But as it is, my dogs and I are very content in our little 2-bedroom 1-bath cozy home :)

I lived alone for some years after the divorce, gradually became happy again and dated- but I came to love my freedom and living alone; coming and going as I pleased.

Some time after I bought my condo, my 12 year old grandson moved in with me. He continued to opt to stay with me. He's 22 now and I know he will be leaving the nest at some point, but I got so used to having him around at least part of the time, it will be difficult for me.

He pays a reasonable amount for rent; eats out with his friends, etc. more often than not, buys his own stuff and now that I've retired last year, his rent helps me. More than that- when I was once perfectly content to live alone, I don't think I could now!

yes, but....decent person preferably female (not for sex) companion. I lived alone for a long time then met a woman online who turned out to be AARRGHHH,,,nuff said. I live alone now and it is boring since I have copd and can't get out much..

Definately not all a Golden Girls situation. While I would understand the financial help, not sure my personality would allow it. There are times I barely tolerate my husband. LOL. I had housemates win the past, before I was with Rick. They did not end well at all.

I wouldn't want another partner or 'mate', and I'd probably prefer to have my independence and live alone, can't say I've done that much at all in my lifetime. I do have a finished basement, so if I found a lady friend who wanted to share expenses and live in my house, she'd have her own bedroom, living room, bathroom and small fridge, microwave, etc. downstairs.

I think that having someone live with you also means their friends, boyfriends, relatives might be dropping by. I don't know how I'd feel about that. I may trust that one person who moved in, but not sure I'd want people I hardly know roaming around my home.

A friend of mine had his father pass away, and his mother was suddenly rejuvenated, traveling, visiting family, doing things she never could do when her husband was alive. She felt some freedom there.

I've been married almost 52 of my 70 years. I've been alone now for 1 year and 1 day (but who's counting) and I'm getting along fine. But I do have plenty of room here in Hawaii so if know any young lonely beautiful women that would like to make the move, let me know! :cool: ("Young" & "lonely" & "beautiful" are totally negotiable. "Women" is not....)

Seriously, I don't have the time or patience it takes to thoroughly train a new wife. :playful:

I live alone (well, except for my dog) and I like it. I don't think I'd be comfortable with another person living in the house. I enjoy my independence and my privacy and I wouldn't be willing to trade it for the help. Another mate? Not on your life! I'd sooner stick a needle in my eye.

My hubby of many years passed away last September and I
now live alone.
I would never have anyone live with me unless my grandson needed a home for awhile.

In a couple of months I will be moving into a small mini-home closer to my son.
There will just be room enough for me and it will be quite an adjustment after living in
a three bedroom home but I will get used to a smaller space and living alone will suit me just fine.

The longer I live alone the more intolerant I become of other people, I meet friends regularly for coffee or lunch but I'm always glad to get back to the peace and quiet so no, I don't think I could share my home with anybody

[h=2]Seniors Here Who Live Alone, Would You Have Someone Share Your Home With You If You Could?[/h]

It sounds like a great idea and a solution to the aging population living alone at home. And I think many who are alone entertain the idea at some point.
But in reality, it probably wouldn't work for 99.9% of people. Older people don't tolerate changes well. :)

Back