Service memorabilia

Grampa Don

Have you kept any memorabilia from your service time? For many years after I got out of the Navy, I kept a set of dungarees, dress whites, dress and undress blues, my pee coat and my dungaree jacket. Some of it stored in my old bunk bag. A couple of years ago I went through it and asked myself why I was keeping all this stuff. So, I thinned it out.

I put a few items in a shadow box

The background is material from my dungaree jacket. Other than this, I have a lighter with the ships insignia, my bluejacket's manual, a small piece of the teak wood deck which I collected after some minor damage, a collection of photos, and my memories. I guess that's enough.

Don

Tommy

Not much of my own stuff ... maybe a set of dress blues and my pea coat. I still have some of my dad's gear though.

Falcon

DV8
Just my 6 medals. No clothing (uniforms).

My Air Medal is the most honorable. Got it as a bomber pilot.

Last edited:

Grampa Don

Original Poster
When I got out, I had to maintain my sea bag for a year of standby reserve. After that, I just never got around to throwing most of it out. I know a lot of people have bad memories of their time in uniform. I was very very lucky. I never saw any combat. I served with good people, officers and chiefs included. It was an interesting experience, and I had some good times. My only regret is that I had to leave my wife and son behind, and I missed them very much.

My little shadow box hangs in my hobby room. Nobody notices it but me. But, I look at it frequently. And, I think about my shipmates and hope life went as well for them.

Don

Camper6

Dungarees? You are dating yourself. It's jeans now.

For myself I don't have much but for my father I have kept certificates and framed them. He served in the First World War.

I have a medal and a certificate and a photo of my grandson in a color party holding a flag all framed on my wall.

ClassicRockr

I got out in 1972. Four year hitch with Inactive Reserve Duty after. IOW, I was a regular, not a 2-Year "Weekend Warrior" Naval Reserve.

Have a picture, with me in, from my Sept. 1968 NTC Great Lakes, ILL Graduation Class. Have all of my ribbons/metals in a display case. Vietnam Campaign, Vietnam Service (w/two bronze stars), a Ship Commendation Metal and a couple of others. Also have a picture of my first ship, the U.S.S. Robison DDG-12 going by Pt Loma in San Diego back to 32nd St Naval Station in San Diego. My first Westpac Cruise to Nam was on the Robison. Also have a nice collector's plate of the U.S.S. Yorktown that we bought when we visited it in the Bay by Charleston, SC.. Very interesting walk around this Carrier.

ClassicRockr

Dungarees? You are dating yourself. It's jeans now.

For myself I don't have much but for my father I have kept certificates and framed them. He served in the First World War.

I have a medal and a certificate and a photo of my grandson in a color party holding a flag all framed on my wall.
The entire time I was in the Navy, my work uniform was dungarees.

Grampa Don

Original Poster
Didn't the US Navy do away with dungarees? It seems the pictures I see now are some kind of camouflage outfit. Bell bottom dungarees were comfortable and looked good.

Don

Manatee

The entire time I was in the Navy, my work uniform was dungarees.
With a light blue chambray shirt that had your name stenciled on the back.

The dungarees came in 2 sizes: too big and too small.

In Panama some of us made cutoff shorts out of them.