Sex Education

Chet

How did you get yours? From your parents, in school or on the street? How about your kids if any? Mine was on the street. School didn't teach it back then and I suppose my parents found it uncomfortable. Since we are animals after all, but just the human kind, instinct will eventually take over eventually I think.

I got "the talk" at home, but not very informative, mostly of the soon-you'll-be-a-woman/stay-away-from-boys variety.

We also were subjected to the annual "sex talk" in school from the gym teacher, mostly of the boys-are-sex-fiends/they-can't-control-themselves/you'll-end-up-as-a-teenage-mother-living-in-a-trailer-park-with-a-husband-who-works-at-the-filling-station-and-hates-you variety. Plus a pretty graphic movie about venereal diseases that would have put a sailor who had been at sea for three years off sex permanently.

Mostly, my knowledge of sex, usually referred to as "IT", came from my best friend who had it mostly wrong. I mean, she told me that my parents did "IT" and, well, I was sure my parents didn't do anything like THAT! My mother? No way!

My mother kept the note I wrote to her about my sister asking questions, in which I asked her to deal with it. I didn't know the answers. The school taught us about puberty, and so did my mother (she of the speeches that continues, verbatim, twice a year for several years I think she started out intending to tell us everything, but lost her nerve.. I found out the whole story when I looked up "birds and bees" in the index of my 9th grade health book. To say I was shocked would be an under-statement.

My kids learned from me, from a video called "A Child is Born", and from the books I bought them. I didn't even broach of the subject of no sex until you are married. I know I didn't learn that from my mother (she was too fixated on sex ed part 1) or from church (we didn't go), so it must have been in the air.

on the street
Pretty much, parents and school came too late...

I think that happened with a lot of people. Today its probably the internet, and friends.

The class I had in school was awful. A lot of emphasis on VD, and when one guy asked if it was possible to get it from another guy the teacher got furious and ended the instruction... The little movie we saw was so generic and censored I would never have figured out how it was spread, even man to/from woman.

Allan. my buddy, told me. He was 11. It was a hard pill to swallow. Come on, your parents being passionate???????? So when I walked in the door, my mom was washing dishes, I asked her how does a women get a baby. She dropped a plate on the floor. I don't think she answered me.
Back when I was nine, my parents told me I was going to have a brother. I expected this kid to come walking in the door. Well, they brought this baby in. I figured they bought the cheaper grow-your-own kid than getting a more expensive grown kid.

My dad gave me a book about "it" and said if I have any questions to ask him. Had sex education in school and fell in in love with my sex education teacher, quite literally sparks would fly when I got close to her then she would look at me and smile. Then of course my girl cousin that I spent lots of time with.

I decided to "woman up" and answer any questions the boys still had after they'd read the books I procured for them. I got really good at discussing anything that came up. Finally, they asked me to stop, because I was embarrassing them! :) I got a kick out of that!

We had a sex education course in high school. It was lame and clinical. I was familiar with anatomy, but all they basically taught was that if you inserted Part P into Part V, you could contract VD and/or get pregnant. The end.

I started my fieldwork with my college boyfriend.kiss

Bella ✌️

Of course there were those like myself, totally clueless, who just jumped in and hoped for the best, but this chap gave a few clues.... 😊

A movie in a bar a friend & I snuck into when we were around 17.
I said, "Hmmmmm, that looks interesting; maybe I should try it......."

Any discussion of sec was taboo when I was growing up. My Mum and Dad gave me a religious pamphlet when I was 13. It was all about “the blessed union between and man and a woman” and was extremely short on details. Then my Mum followed that up by “the talk” which started out “You know how dogs do it?” 🤦🏼‍♀️ My Dad had bred show quality Labs for years so I knew about the mating process in canines! Gave me nightmares for years to think humans did that!!

In high school, I got way more information (mostly wrong) from my friends. By the time I was 20 I was married, and pregnant shortly after that. I knew how babies were made by that point but not much else. Pregnancy and birth were weird, wonderful, terrifying and mystifying.

I swore I would NEVER subject my children to the level of ignorance I experienced, and from that point on I immersed myself into a detailed self-education of sex and biology and a variety of ancillary and raised my kids to be completely open and unashamed of the subject. It was dinner table conversation, and I made it that open so they would never have to go through the painful and awkward self discovery that I did. As adults, they’ve all thanked me for that. So I guess I did something right lol!

Back