SF losing its political respite status - who's with me for getting back on track?

AnnieA

Know it's hard with the events of 2020 and the presidential election so near, but I think we all need to honor our host, @Matrix 's, guidelines to keep politics off the site. We all have political views, but let's use outlets other than Senior Forums to express them. Each time someone openly posts about politics or slips in a political jibe, the post is reported. Matrix and SeaBreeze have to take time out of their day to deal with those reports.

Senior Forums is one of the best I've ever belonged to. Let's keep it that way!

Very well said. My family and I don't even discuss who we're voting for.

Thanks! It's not just voting; it's snipping against others' world views. We're a diverse group here and I love that. But it means you're going to have some people with low tolerance levels for other viewpoints from both a conservative and a liberal bias. Those people on either spectrum take potshots at the other 'side' and sometimes each other here. When those posts pop up in a thread, it's like a guest throwing food at a dinner party.

IMO it has little to do with politics and more to do with individuals policing their own behavior.

Some people don't seem to be able to accept another person's point of view on any subject without getting into a tit for tat exchange that goes on for a page or two.

IMO we need to be more accepting of other people's views without the need to comment on them or confront them.

It seems like everything is political these days -- even the pandemic! I'm glad politics is not allowed in this forum, though. I'm sick of it, and have said everything I want to say about it. When somebody posts something political and irrational, I just add that person to my ignore list. I added someone just a few minutes ago, but he was the first on this forum.

IMO it has little to do with politics and more to do with individuals policing their own behavior.

Some people don't seem to be able to accept another person's point of view on any subject without getting into a tit for tat exchange that goes on for a page or two.

IMO we need to be more accepting of other people's views without the need to comment on them or confront them.
Yes, we must remember that all on here are 'mature', so therefore we have plenty of life experiences. Those experiences will be different for each of us, and this affects our thinking. We are also from different countries and, although we speak the same language, our cultures are different.
Tolerance and open-mindedness are what are needed.

debatepolitics.com to blow off steam
The trouble with those sort of sites is that people always become abusive. Another thing which many people don't realise is that those who run a site very often have political leanings and this reflects in the way the site is managed. I recently left a 'granny' site because certain posts were removed, not because they were offensive, but because they disagreed with the current 'liberalism'.

The trouble with those sort of sites is that people always become abusive. Another thing which many people don't realise is that those who run a site very often have political leanings and this reflects in the way the site is managed. I recently left a 'granny' site because certain posts were removed, not because they were offensive, but because they disagreed with the current 'liberalism'.
Have you ever read the comments sections on a topic.

They allow everything. The names people call each other is abominable to say the least.

Anonymity shows the character of a person. Yes the moderators have free rein on what you can post on a lot of forums. There's nothing you can do about it. It's outright censorship.

debatepolitics.com to blow off steam

Most internet politics don't help relieve tension. It's people on both sides who've had more than one glass of Kool-aid hurling insults at one another. There's little to no meaningful dialogue and a lot of wasted time since people go on those sites with their mind made up. Except for the people paid to troll ...guess there's something in it for them.

I agree. I dropped out of our political forum long before it was removed. I joined SF a few weeks before 2016 election. I do not miss it at all.
This year has been tough on all of us. I feel we can continue to share concerns without bringing politics in. We here in the US need to remember this forum is global.

In the present political climate having a polite, respectful discussion is difficult because of certain media that has 'weaponized' the very notion of what are facts and what is fake news.

In the present political climate having a polite, respectful discussion is difficult because of certain media that has 'weaponized' the very notion of what are facts and what is fake news.

That's why I love SF's no politics rule and wish people would honor it.

I as well have great respect for SF......i appreciate the " no politics ".
Also appreciate the 0 tolerance for damaging and hurtful posts.
Many HATS off and BOWS to those who manage this site.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I don't like the sly innuendos, either. But I just put the poster on ignore ... wonderful!

Sly innuendos! That's perfect! I don't have to worry about putting them on ignore in this thread ...not seeing the most conspicuous ones posting or even 'liking' here.

Last edited:
Back