Shepherd's Pie

A friend gave me a package of ground beef and one of Hornel mashed potatoes. They spoke "shepherd's pie" to me. Of course I had to add some of my own ingredients and to avoid another trip to thr market, I used what I had on hand - a jar of white onions and a can of whole kernel corn with some Worcestershire sauce, other spices and some grated Parmesan cheese on top. It didn't turn out too bad.

shepherds pie.jpg

One of my favorite dishes. It's one of those dishes that you can put any leftovers in that you wish, you don't need a recipe, and it's pretty healthy if you don't overdo the taters and make it too high carb. You can do a crock pot version too.

A friend of mine does that with Thanksgiving leftovers. Put turkey on the bottom, then a layer of stuffing, top with mashed potatoes, pour gravy over the whole thing and bake.

@debodun you have been sharing some good looking recipes. I have printed a couple out, and hope to try them. I have always wanted to make shepherd's pie. It is a nice filling dish. I sure have to try this one too.

Thanks for ther compliment, Marie. There's no set recipe for this, either. I just used what I had on hand. A more traditional recipe calls for ground lamb with peas and diced carrots. There are probably thousands of recipes on the Internet. Check those and compare to see the difference. I also used some black pepper, a dash of cayenne, cumin and garlic powder.

I am compiling a cookbook of my mom's recipies and ones I created (the last time I checked, it was 72 pages in Open Office), although I don't know who would be interested in it. I have two huge boxes of cookbooks and can't sell them. Everyone gets their recipes online these days.

Last edited:
Her are some of the cookbooks I have.

Attachments

• complete holiday.jpg
    complete holiday.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • cookbook2.jpg
    cookbook2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • cookbooks.jpg
    cookbooks.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
  • cookbooksC.JPG
    cookbooksC.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
  • cookbooksB.JPG
    cookbooksB.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
If you like cooking, chances are you can never have too many cookbooks! So many recipes, so little time to cook.

Back