Shopped at Costco Today and Had a Free A1c Diabetes Test

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
Was glad to be taken care of right away and wait 5 minutes for the test results. The result for my test was 5.6 which is at the top level of the normal/ideal reading. 5.7-6.4 is pre-diabetes, 6.5 or greater is considered Diabetes. Since I rarely go to a doctor, and immediate family have or had diabetes, I'm happy with the result I got.

I can lose some weight and clean up my diet, but it's a good reading considering I still enjoy sweets, breads, pizza, etc. I do take supplements like Chromium Picolinate and Bitter Melon to help as a preventative to high blood sugar, so that may be helping.

They gave everyone samples of a supplement called CinSulin by Trunature, which has cinnamon, chromium picolinate and vitamin D3 in it, I'll use the samples but doubt I'll add it to my list of vitamins. I already take two of those ingredients.

That's GREAT news @SeaBreeze , sure wish my numbers were like that when I found out I was diabetic... After our accident, another story, they put me on some pretty hard narcs for pain, which after 10 years I am still on them... Most of the doctors I've seen have said my diabetes is caused by the drugs I am on... But to make a long story short. I was having pains in my chest, and just didn't feel well one morning, worse then I was already feeling, So Lorie drove me over to our local hospital, they checked my heart and said it was fine, so they wanted to run blood tests... Well few hours they came back and asked me if I was diabetic... and all confident, I said nope... they said I'd be thinking again, cuz my sugar was 32.9! Again I think I have my narcs to blame for that...

Two things to keep in mind:
The whole idea of the free test is (of course) to sell the supplements....much like those free Laser Eye Surgery screenings to sell the procedure. In people over 60, a normal A1c has been age adjusted & sometimes 7 is considered OK because it is riskier to try to lower blood sugar in older people due to the risk of hypoglycemia, which is far more dangerous than high blood sugar & greatly outweighs the benefit. But you don't have to be concerned about that because these supplements have little or no effect on diabetes.
Chromium Picolinate has been marketed as a weight-loss supplement. I know several people (including my sister) who took it for that purpose after it was advertised as "Preserving Lean Tissue" (meaning muscle) which uses up more calories. No one I knew ever lost any weight from it. My sister did lose 4 weeks, however.

Was glad to be taken care of right away and wait 5 minutes for the test results. The result for my test was 5.6 which is at the top level of the normal/ideal reading. 5.7-6.4 is pre-diabetes, 6.5 or greater is considered Diabetes. Since I rarely go to a doctor, and immediate family have or had diabetes, I'm happy with the result I got.

I can lose some weight and clean up my diet, but it's a good reading considering I still enjoy sweets, breads, pizza, etc. I do take supplements like Chromium Picolinate and Bitter Melon to help as a preventative to high blood sugar, so that may be helping.

They gave everyone samples of a supplement called CinSulin by Trunature, which has cinnamon, chromium picolinate and vitamin D3 in it, I'll use the samples but doubt I'll add it to my list of vitamins. I already take two of those ingredients.
My A1C was the same as yours last time and time before I had it tested. Considered normal. In May of 2018 mine was 7.2! Like yours it has been 5.6 now. It's a good thing to know SeaBreeze! :giggle: 🌷

That's GREAT news @SeaBreeze , sure wish my numbers were like that when I found out I was diabetic... After our accident, another story, they put me on some pretty hard narcs for pain, which after 10 years I am still on them... Most of the doctors I've seen have said my diabetes is caused by the drugs I am on... But to make a long story short. I was having pains in my chest, and just didn't feel well one morning, worse then I was already feeling, So Lorie drove me over to our local hospital, they checked my heart and said it was fine, so they wanted to run blood tests... Well few hours they came back and asked me if I was diabetic... and all confident, I said nope... they said I'd be thinking again, cuz my sugar was 32.9! Again I think I have my narcs to blame for that...
Thanks Mike! Sorry to hear you're in such pain and on narcotics for such a long time. Have you ever considered using some form of marijuana to help with your pain, I'm sure you couldn't give up your pain pills completely, but maybe just cut down.

My A1C was the same as yours last time and time before I had it tested. Considered normal. In May of 2018 mine was 7.2! Like yours it has been 5.6 now. It's a good thing to know SeaBreeze! :giggle: 🌷

That's great Ruth! Since posting this I did go to the Kaiser patient website and looked up my last and only other test like that, it was in 2015 and the reading was 6.1.

But you don't have to be concerned about that because these supplements have little or no effect on diabetes.

I had heard on the radio and read somewhere (don't remember where) that Bitter Melon supplements were given to the Diabetic citizens of some poor third-world country by the government. It was because they could not afford to see doctors all the time and take drugs. They said the Bitter Melon kept their Diabetes under control.

Of course you can eat Bitter Melon, but you wouldn't get the therapeutic doses that are able to be in supplements. I take one capsule daily, just as a preventative.

Back