Shots were fired at Canberra airport.

Tish

SF VIP
A man with a gun has been arrested following a shooting near the security screening at Canberra Airport on Sunday afternoon.
The terminal was evacuated at around 1:30 pm (AEST) when a man fired around five shots towards glass windows.
A man with a gun was arrested at the scene by police shortly after, who later confirmed the situation is under control and that no injuries have been reported.

Full Story

The stories I hear these days about airports; I'm not surprised at all that there is someone who shoots some where. No one here prints his side of the story. He probably had some good reason to do this.

By the way, Toronto International Airport in Toronto, Canada has a sort of record. It is recorded as the worse airport in the world for cancelled flights, delayed flights and on going security madness. As a Canadian I am proud NOT! The largest airport in Canada is the worse one in the world. The Shame of it very profound!

He must have been shooting at his own reflection. There are a lot of crazy people about. Perhaps we need to put the safety of the general public first and keep those with dubious mental states under constant supervision.

Perhaps he was crying for attention; he has it now.

Our Vancouver shootings are gang related. They used to be rare, now almost every weekend. It’s mostly been young gang members retaliating.

who said they don't have guns ?.. I think Australians are the Same as Us in the UK.. many of us have guns, but they have to be licensed to us to use, .. and we have to be vetted by the police..
I thought Aussies were no longer free to own and carry guns. Maybe a member from Australia can confirm if this is so or not. You have to be licensed to carry a gun in the U.S. also. You can't just buy without a permit.

Proving that some Aussies still have guns? :unsure:

It would be easy enough to buy an illegal gun from criminal gangs on the black market.

What a strange thing to do... shoot at the glass... Fortunately no-one was injured, but I wonder what his game was... :unsure:

On the news this morning, they stated that the man showed no emotion whatsoever, which to be honest with you guys makes my blood run cold, he faces court this morning and police are going to oppose bail.

I just pray that this was not a dry run for something more sinister to come.
The fact that he just walked in sat down for a while and then opened fire, shows that our airport security is not secure at all.

I have no doubt that he will claim insanity.

It would be easy enough to buy an illegal gun from criminal gangs on the black market.

On the news this morning, they stated that the man showed no emotion whatsoever, which to be honest with you guys makes my blood run cold, he faces court this morning and police are going to oppose bail.

I just pray that this was not a dry run for something more sinister to come.
The fact that he just walked in sat down for a while and then opened fire, shows that our airport security is not secure at all.

I have no doubt that he will claim insanity.
oh yes of course.. anyone if they know the right people can buy a gun on the Black market, but most people don't.. most people in the UK and Australia, and New Zealand.. and basically the rest of Europe don't want to own a gun, they don't see the need to own a gun.. and if they do.. then 99% will own it legally, after having gone through police checks ..that's the difference between Us and the USA

pretty soon people will just go around and shoot people they don't like or who they disagree with or just any old reason on a daily basis if this keeps up. i just don't like where all this violence is headed.

oh yes of course.. anyone if they know the right people can buy a gun on the Black market, but most people don't.. most people in the UK and Australia, and New Zealand.. and basically the rest of Europe don't want to own a gun, they don't see the need to own a gun.. and if they do.. then 99% will own it legally, after having gone through police checks ..that's the difference between Us and the USA
Absolutely correct!

pretty soon people will just go around and shoot people they don't like or who they disagree with or just any old reason on a daily basis if this keeps up. i just don't like where all this violence is headed.
I don't like it either, at the moment we are going through gang warfare, that has just escalated to targeting and killing members' families, according to the police they are on top of it🙄
I am not holding my breath about the police keeping us safe.
Sydney streets are the gang's playgrounds it absolutely shocking.

I don't like it either, at the moment we are going through gang warfare, that has just escalated to targeting and killing members' families, according to the police they are on top of it🙄
I am not holding my breath about the police keeping us safe.
Sydney streets are the gang's playgrounds it absolutely shocking.
Simialr happening in London at the moment.. but it's youngsters.. (teens mainly...teen on teens ).. running amock with knives

A man with a gun has been arrested following a shooting near the security screening at Canberra Airport on Sunday afternoon.
The terminal was evacuated at around 1:30 pm (AEST) when a man fired around five shots towards glass windows.
A man with a gun was arrested at the scene by police shortly after, who later confirmed the situation is under control and that no injuries have been reported.

Full Story
Some are getting them through the mail. Not illegal because they come disassembled and you have to assemble it for it to be illegal which is crazy.

so all those people running around shooting everyone in the USA have permits, and have been vetted by the police ?
It varies from state to state, in Utah if you buy from a licensed dealer you do have a few requirements, no permitting but a background check is done, and a record of the sale is made. I think this is pretty much the minimum requirement in any state.

You can give a gun to most anyone without any required reporting.

A lot of guns here are sold privately, not through a licensed dealer, the requirements to do that are listed below.

About the only vetting is a close check to make sure your money is good.

Buying A Firearm From Another Utah Resident: It is LEGAL to purchase a handgun, rifle, and/or shotgun through a private sale ONLY if;
  • The buyer is at least 18 years old,
  • The buyer is a current resident of Utah,
  • The seller is at least 18 years old, AND
  • The seller is a current resident of Utah

Background checks are not required for private sales, but using a Bill Of Sale is highly recommended.
There is no firearm registration in Utah and no way to attach your name to the serial number of the firearm.
https://utahcarrylaws.com/purchasing-selling-firearms/#buying-a-firearm-private

No way for law enforcement to verify these rules are followed, or that the buyer or seller are Utah residents.

..really ?... so all those people running around shooting everyone in the USA have permits, and have been vetted by the police ? :eek:
Not All ...but many are........the system used has flaws and loopholes ..... many things like states being many months behind in uploading issues into the NICS system ......
A good portion of guns used in shootings may also be stolen .........or taken from someone they know who bought and has a permit......

As well as some people who decide today is the day ..... may have had no previous issues.....Background checks are just that back ground not we CAN SEE the future checks.

Proving that some Aussies still have guns? :unsure:
Of course we have access to firearms but not military grade ones.
Also you need to get a licence to own one and it must be registered.

The question here is was the gun obtained legally?

@Packerjohn I know that QANTAS has been cancelling flights and losing luggage a lot lately but frustrated as someone may become, that is no reason to terrify other travellers. Also, I'm pretty sure that firearms are not allowed in your carry on luggage.

Fortunately he wasn't intent on murder but the terminal was evacuated for hours after this incident, causing even more customer frustration and anger. I suppose they had to scour the terminal checking for any hidden explosives.

And why is it always a man behaving like this? I haven't heard of a woman shooting up an airport since the Baadr-Meinhof terrorists.

Not All ...but many are........the system used has flaws and loopholes ..... many things like states being many months behind in uploading issues into the NICS system ......
A good portion of guns used in shootings may also be stolen .........or taken from someone they know who bought and has a permit......

As well as some people who decide today is the day ..... may have had no previous issues.....Background checks are just that back ground not we CAN SEE the future checks.
well we have Background checks here... and we don't have anywhere nearly as many shootings...

Back