Sick From Raw Chicken?

Gee, why would anyone eat there?

Americans eat more chicken than any other meat. Chicken can be a nutritious choice, but raw chicken is often contaminated with Campylobacter bacteria and sometimes with Salmonella and Clostridium perfringens bacteria.
If you eat undercooked chicken, you can get a foodborne illness, also called food poisoning. You can also get sick if you eat other foods or beverages that are contaminated by raw chicken or its juices.
CDC estimates that every year in the United States about 1 million people get sick from eating contaminated poultry. Ten-year-old AJ was one of those people. Watch AJ and his mother talk about the serious Salmonella infection he got from eating chicken.

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/chicken.html

I've gotten salmonella twice in my life. It's a miserable illness. I know where it picked it up both times. Both times while traveling on business in Florida. Both times from chicken. Trendy, upscale restaurant. I no longer eat any chicken from prepared by restaurants ... EVER.

I took a sanitary microbiology course in college; we did a lab experiment. Cultured salmonella from some raw chicken purchased at the local grocery, and from a swab we put down a manhole into raw sewage. More salmonella on the chicken than in the raw sewage.

Been pretty careful handling raw poultry and made sure all was very well cooked ever since.

Recently I read it is better not to wash chicken before you cook it because there is more chance of spreading germs all over the kitchen sink area.
My mom use to soak her chicken in cold water before cooking.
I don't go that far but I rinse my chicken inside and out under cold running water, when I'm done I clean my whole sink area with bleach and toss any dish cloths or towels in the wash immediately. My cutting area gets bleached as well.

I got a rotisserie chicken at the grocery a few years ago that was pink and bloody near the bones. I had to finish cooking it which defeats the purpose of buying what is supposed to be a thoroughly cooked bird. I sent an email to the corporate office and their response was that the chickens are cooked to their specifications. End of this story.

I got real sick this past New Year's eve on fried cod I got in the "grab n' go" (the 'grab-n-go" is a refrigerated case where the store puts cooked food you can eat by just re-heating a few minutes in a stove or microwave). I haven't bought any seafood there since.

We don't eat any meat, poultry, or fish that isn't fully cooked. If we're at a restaurant, we ask for "well done", and if it isn't, we ask them to take it back and heat it up some more. After seeing reports about where some of the fish/seafood comes from, I would Never eat Sushi.

My high quality meat thermometer tells me when anything has reached a safe temperature. Then I cook it 5 or 10 minutes more, just to be certain. I can’t help myself.

I took a sanitary microbiology course in college; we did a lab experiment. Cultured salmonella from some raw chicken purchased at the local grocery, and from a swab we put down a manhole into raw sewage. More salmonella on the chicken than in the raw sewage.

Been pretty careful handling raw poultry and made sure all was very well cooked ever since.
I handle raw chicken like it was both radioactive and had the bubonic plague.

Back