Sigma peronality types??

Took some time to study the list @seadoug posted and I can say they are mostly things I'd like to think I am, but being honest I am not so sure. Particularly the last one:
They can play the role of an alpha, but they prefer to be a sigma
It would be nice to think one is alpha capable, but conscientiously decides not to be...

I can use a right handed pencil with my left hand......
So, I would only assume that would make us ambidextrous, or, ambisigma? Yes, that would be right. No, left.:unsure:

I don't mind admitting it here, even if I don't want to get into the details of how I caught it. But I managed to get a prescription drug for it from my doctor. It worked ever so well, and took only three weeks to clear up. I can now hardly tell it was ever there.

The wonders of modern medicine, it fascinates me!

UPDATE: ambisigma? :unsure:... Oh! Now I see what you meant.

Last edited:
I didn't realize there was a "term" for me!! I am independent,
  • They are independent and self-sufficient - I live alone with Flash (dog) and I am more content\relax now than previously
  • They are self-starters who like to work by themselves - yes I prefer to work alone without interaction with others
  • They love their personal space, privacy, and solitude - the last 5 years are the most content as I live only with my dog.
  • They are incredibly self-aware and introspective - I dont wear my "heart on my sleeve"
  • They are silent leaders and they lead by example - I was told I am secretative and don't show emotions
    They are highly adaptable and they take calculated risks - thought that was having a "flexible outlook"
  • They disregard and escape the social hierarchy - never liked being in a group/clique
  • They love learning, achieving, growing, and improving for themselves, not to impress others - I look up info and learn to satisfy my curiosity.
  • They donā€™t define their self-worth based on material things or social validation - I am an introvert and need "alone" time.
  • They donā€™t conform to societal expectations - Widowed and living alone for 6 years and find it very "freeing" to be alone.
  • They are mysterious and hard to get - not mysterious but prefer too be alone.
  • They are dominant introverts who command the room with their presence - NO
  • They know what they want and they go for it - yes (but not in a ruthless way)
  • They do their own thing and have their own style - I am independent (travelled alone, live alone, do not follow trends")
  • They can play the role of an alpha, but they prefer to be a sigma (not me, prefer to be alone, not with a group, never joined any "clubs" or walking groups.)

Sigma is actually the eighteenth letter of the Greek alphabet: 'Ī£'
Ī‘ Ī±, Ī’ Ī², Ī“ Ī³, Ī” Ī“, Ī• Īµ, Ī– Ī¶, Ī— Ī·, Ī˜ Īø, Ī™ Ī¹, Īš Īŗ, Ī› Ī», Īœ Ī¼, Ī Ī½, Īž Ī¾, ĪŸ Īæ, Ī  Ļ€, Ī” Ļ, Ī£ Ļƒ/Ļ‚, Ī¤ Ļ„, Ī„ Ļ…, Ī¦ Ļ†, Ī§ Ļ‡, ĪØ Ļˆ, Ī© Ļ‰.
Sigma male is a metaphor for a male that occupies a position outside a social or group hierarchy; a lone wolf or maverick. There are Sigma females too, but the trait does tend to be more male. As for the introvert argument, the jury is still out on that one. Winston Churchill had all the hallmarks of the Sigma male but he didn't show any sign of the introvert.
bingo

Ok, after reading through this thread, here are my thoughts regarding ā€Sigma personality typesā€. And the word Sigma itself in the context here. I may ramble on, as I sometimes do, Iā€™m just kind of formulating my thoughts as I go along:

Iā€™m aware of what some, in popular culture a least, refer to as an Alpha & Beta type, which seems very generalistic as a term, and one that probably has no basis in science? Iā€™ve also become aware of the phrase Gamma & Omega types within a hierarchy. Or at least as a term. I have no Idea what these last two are referring to, and I donā€™t even care that much to know. Perhaps there are other types in popular culture, and maybe more to come?

I feel I very much recognise myself in the list that was posted earlier. Iā€™m not so sure about this one though, ā€œThey are dominant introverts who command the room with their presenceā€. I ā€˜kind ofā€™ get a sense people notice me when I walk in a room. If thatā€™s so, no doubt they notice me for their own individual reasons. Some will watch me walk across the room. I donā€™t generally command a room. I might usually just sit down, just watch and observe. Only moving to become involved in a particular situation if I ā€˜feelā€™ a need to or want to.

The Sigma type as a phrase is something I only relatively recently become aware of, and one that doesnā€™t seem to fit inside a particular perceived hierarchy? I wonder what a psychologist might think of these terms, and whether they think to use them might be helpful in anyway, or not?

What word might a psychologist use instead of Sigma? ā€¦.Autonomous, perhaps? I donā€™t personally know what word they might use. When I say autonomous, I donā€™t mean someone who is given autonomy, from say a higher authority within a group or organisation, but someone who has or is autonomous in pretty much everything that they think do and act. Someone who is self regulated, with a strong sense of self and are able to make decisions independently, without relying on external factors. Someone who might have some but a minimal sense of a need to be guided by others? Within reason that is, there are still laws to abide to. Well, maybe not, as there are some laws I donā€™t abide to or care for that much. But thatā€™s another story.

So in summary then, should the word Sigma in this context just mean autonomy, and referring to a number of specific traits. Traits that might not always be 'in evidence' all together, all the time?

Last edited:
This is what I was able to find on the web, and yes, it fits me. These are also traits of an Introvert.

Here are the most common traits of a sigma male or sigma female:

• They are independent, confident, and self-sufficient
  • They are self-starters who like to work by themselves
  • They love their personal space, privacy, and solitude
  • They are incredibly self-aware and introspective
  • They are silent leaders and they lead by example
  • They are highly adaptable and they take calculated risks
  • They disregard and escape the social hierarchy
  • They love learning, achieving, growing, and improving for themselves, not to impress others
  • They donā€™t define their self-worth based on material things or social validation
  • They donā€™t conform to societal expectations
  • They are mysterious and hard to get
  • They are dominant introverts who command the room with their presence
  • They know what they want and they go for it
  • They do their own thing and have their own style
  • They can play the role of an alpha, but they prefer to be a sigma
I've worked with a few people like that.

Back