Signs of an IRS Tax Scam - Beware!

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
I was already called on the phone by one of these scammers, I let him say his peace, then told him off and hung up on him. Luckily I had already heard about that scam, so I was curious to hear the spiel.

1. An email, phone call or text claiming to be the IRS.

When it comes to contacting taxpayers, the IRS will almost always use the U.S. Postal Service first. Trevor Buxton, fraud awareness and communications manager for PNC Bank, says he won't answer the phone if his caller ID shows "IRS" because he knows the agency doesn't initiate contact that way.

The problem is some people don't have the self-discipline to ignore calls and emails, and scammers are counting on that. "They are going to prey on human curiosity," Hansen says. Impersonators hope they can get people to pick up the phone, open an email or click on an attachment because they want to know what's being said.

Then, they can use manipulation and intimidation tactics, such as threatening police action, to get the information or payment they want. Or in the case of email attachments, fraudsters can prompt taxpayers to download malicious software onto a computer to harvest sensitive data.

To avoid getting caught in this trap, don't answer the phone if you don't know the caller. As for emails supposedly from the IRS, Hansen advises immediately deleting the message and moving on.

2. Poor grammar or awkward sentence structure.

If you do find yourself on the phone or reading an email from someone who claims to be an IRS agent, poor English is another giveaway of a scam. Some IRS scams are based outside the country, and poor grammar, multiple typos or unusual wording is a red flag that the message or email is not an official IRS communication.

"The best thing to do is simply ignore it," Buxton says. "Don't engage with these people in any form." If you need reassurance that the call or email is fake, you can contact the IRS directly to confirm the message is not from the agency.

3. Threats that law enforcement will be called.

Scammers use the IRS' intimidating reputation to their benefit. "I think people understand the IRS is very powerful," says David Shuster, principal at accounting firm Friedman LLP and a member of its Tax Controversy Services Group. "People fear the IRS."

Because of that fear, people may believe an IRS impersonator when he or she says the police or immigration officers will be sent to make an arrest if payment isn't made over the phone. However, security experts and the IRS say this is a classic sign of a scam. If you have an outstanding tax bill, that would be a civil matter, not a criminal one, and not something the police would be called in to handle.

4. Requests for a payment via gift card, prepaid card or wire transfer.

Another sure sign of a scam is a request to purchase prepaid cards or gift cards and use those to make a tax payment. The same goes for demands to send a wire transfer. "These are bogus. Period," Buxton says. "There's no question about it."

Even if you get a collection call from the IRS, the agency doesn't demand immediate payment. It also can't dictate how you pay the bill. Even if it could, Buxton says it would make no sense for the government to want to be paid with gift cards to the iTunes store or another retailer.

5. An unexpected direct deposit in your bank account.

A newer IRS scam involves taxpayers receiving an unexpected direct deposit from the Treasury Department. "If all of a sudden you get a deposit, you have to be suspicious," Shuster says.

If the deposit is followed by a contact from a supposed IRS agent requesting bank information or the return of the money, taxpayers can be assured they are the target of a scam. It could also be a sign that a fraudulent tax return has been filed in the taxpayer's name. Shuster says if you get a refund you're not expecting, contact the IRS right away. You can also contact your financial institution to have the deposit returned to the government.

That advice applies to anyone who isn't sure whether an email or call from someone claiming to be an IRS agent is legitimate. Contact the IRS directly if you think you might owe money and don't give a payment of any kind over the phone to someone who calls you.

Full article HERE.

"A newer IRS scam involves taxpayers receiving an unexpected direct deposit from the Treasury Department...if you get a refund you're not expecting, contact the IRS right away. You can also contact your financial institution to have the deposit returned to the government."

Um, I think I'd be spending that deposit.

I've gotten several of those calls where the scammer identifies himself as a Microsoft Customer Service Agent. What they do is tell you your computer is infected with a virus, and then promise to send you a security device for $300 worth of iTunes cards.

I didn't fall or the scam, but I let the guy go through his stupid spiel - and I wondered afterward, Why iTunes cards, particularly?

I mean, I suppose they call back to get the card numbers, but it just seems like a lot to hassle with at both ends.

I have got the IRS call and I said go for it and hung up. Every now and then I get the computer call that I have a virus and I hang up.

"A newer IRS scam involves taxpayers receiving an unexpected direct deposit from the Treasury Department...if you get a refund you're not expecting, contact the IRS right away. You can also contact your financial institution to have the deposit returned to the government."

Um, I think I'd be spending that deposit.

I've gotten several of those calls where the scammer identifies himself as a Microsoft Customer Service Agent. What they do is tell you your computer is infected with a virus, and then promise to send you a security device for $300 worth of iTunes cards.

I didn't fall or the scam, but I let the guy go through his stupid spiel - and I wondered afterward, Why iTunes cards, particularly?

I mean, I suppose they call back to get the card numbers, but it just seems like a lot to hassle with at both ends.

One of the dumbest things I read was a college student who got bilked out of $3,000 because the scammers told her to pay the IRS with an iTunes card. Really?!!
Why would anyone think a government official would want to be paid with an iTunes card?! Good warning about the unexpected deposit..that's a new one on me. Must share. I've had a warning pop up on my computer (the old one) that said it had a virus. I did call, mostly out of curiosity and the man wanted "remote access" to my computer. No way was I falling for that one.

I recently received a letter from the IRS that said my SS number may have been stolen for employment purposes.
That was quite a shock. My next thought... was the letter some type of scam? But info on line proved it to be legit.
The letter said they had put an alert on my tax account... but I should put an alert on my credit reporting accounts.
I was able to do that with the three credit reporting agencies over the phone. It was super easy... probably because
they have so much traffic since Experian was hacked and half of the SS numbers and other financial data was stolen.
I'm sure that is how my own SS number was stolen.

I had some strange calls last night. One from Microsoft saying my computer was now in their hands and that I needed to call a certain #. Then a few minutes later I got the IRS call. A few weeks ago I got a check for $2300.00 and directions to deposit it and do a mystery shop for them and send them the balance with my personal check. I googled the company and of course it was a legit company but they do not pay for mystery shopping and it of course it was a scam. According to their website their company has had a lot of this going on. They provided a screen print of the letter and check and it was the exact one I got. They advised to report it to the police ad shred all of it. I did call the police department and they said this area had been flooded with the letters during that time. If you deposit the check it will come back bogus and you account will be debited for it. Police said to shred which I did. I know somebody is not going to send me a check out of the blue!

Back