Since The Freeze Still No Shower

fmdog44

I still don't have enough water pressure to shower and when a plumber will come is not worth worrying about. I do have pressure in my sinks so I fill several big bottles with water and do "bottle showers". It's pretty cool like standing under a waterfall.

Parts of Texas may take weeks...or longer...to return to normal. The events in that State should be a wake up call for many other parts of the nation, as well....in terms of properly maintaining and improving the infrastructure. Loss of power and clean water, for more than a few hours, puts a lot of people at risk.

I still don't have enough water pressure to shower and when a plumber will come is not worth worrying about. I do have pressure in my sinks so I fill several big bottles with water and do "bottle showers". It's pretty cool like standing under a waterfall.
FM, I admire you for being able to cope with bottle showers, I'd be fit for a straightjacket and a rubber-room if it was me! LOL!

When we were without power and running water for 12 days after a storm a couple of years ago, I became disgusted with myself because of the lack of a shower. Trees were down all over the place so we could not go anywhere, and the snow was too deep. No snow plows for the backroads. Thankfully we had enough water in 5 gallon buckets so we could flush the toilets and water in gallon milk jugs so we had enough to drink. Planning ahead is good, even if you never think you will need it. Some people here were without power and water for a month an a half. We found that we could deal with what we had no choice but to deal with. A person adapts. I feel for you @fmdog44 .

Hey whatever gets the job done. Sometimes ya gotta McGiver stuff. *Grins*

I live in Texas, and I have no idea what Texans "have had to endure" since the winter storm. It was 80 degrees a few days later. People are making far too much of this, IMO. A power outage for a few days and frozen pipes are not a giant catastrophe.
When the temps are 30 below no power for several days and some folks on oxygen it can be a major catastrophe. No offense. Good to see you. :)

I live in Houston but in the Clear Lake area. My power was only out 3 hours and water just a day so I was in good shape. However here in the complex several people had pipes that busted and made a huge mess in their condos. For some it was a catastrophe! Have the heat on now but temps will be in 70's this afternoon and 80's next week per the weatherman just now. Will try to use the ceiling fans as long as possible and keep those a/c bills down.

The drugstore sells towelettes much the same that hospitals use, that can be used in place of a shower and there are also dry shampoos for hair. They both will do in a pinch but not for long term. Alternating with the water bottle shower could do for now.

Don't you live in an apartment or something? What does management say about the water pressure?

I live in Texas, and I have no idea what Texans "have had to endure" since the winter storm. It was 80 degrees a few days later. People are making far too much of this, IMO. A power outage for a few days and frozen pipes are not a giant catastrophe.
You are in the dark as usual.

You are in the dark as usual.
Maybe so. But everyone I know had a power outage for a day or two, then water off for a day or two, then life was back to normal. Not exactly a major crisis, since we've been without power in the summertime for 2 weeks after a damn hurricane. If people have plumbing problems, they should study up on how to turn off water and drain their pipes before a freeze. Not rocket science.

And I live here but a lot of times I'm not aware of what is going on in other parts of the city until I see news stories or someone posts on Facebook about it. Just sayin.......
I don't know why you think I don't watch the local news. I know very well what is happening and what went on during that time. And I don't get my "news" from facebook. And I don't know why I keep posting in this pointless thread, so I'm out.

I don't know why you think I don't watch the local news. I know very well what is happening and what went on during that time. And I don't get my "news" from facebook. And I don't know why I keep posting in this pointless thread, so I'm out.
I never said you don't watch local news! I said you must not have seen the stories I did. And since I don't live in your city...I could not have been watching your local news! When someone posts something on Facebook about our city, they've gotten it from our local news source, our mayor, another city official or personally witnessed the event.

The drugstore sells towelettes much the same that hospitals use, that can be used in place of a shower and there are also dry shampoos for hair. They both will do in a pinch but not for long term. Alternating with the water bottle shower could do for now.
If you're snowed in, you can't get out to get anything. You're stuck sitting there.

I keep an emergency kit which in addition to first aid also has the towelettes and dry shampoo. Bottled water too. You just never know.

Back