Sitting at McDonalds, I look up and see this stunning Red Flowering Gum out the window

Endemic only to South West Western Australia
You also get red flowering gums in the tablelands of the Great Dividing Range, but probably not the same ones.

My dad loved them and tried to grow one in the backyard but the soil was too clayey and it did not thrive.

After he died I wanted to grow one in remembrance but I couldn't find a red one at the nursery so I settled on a pink one. Bad mistake, it was a Tasmanian blue gum, one of Australia's tallest trees. I planted it near the side fence where I could watch it grow as I looked out of my kitchen window.

And grow it did, like Jack's beanstalk. Underneath its roots was the main sewer line that ran through the backyards of neighbours houses. Inevitably it caused blockages as its roots invaded the line, so it had to be taken out.

I now have a red one on the nature strip in front of the house but it is suffering from the same clay soil that caused problems for Dad.

O well, at least I tried. :rolleyes:

You also get red flowering gums in the tablelands of the Great Dividing Range, but probably not the same ones.

My dad loved them and tried to grow one in the backyard but the soil was too clayey and it did not thrive.

After he died I wanted to grow one in remembrance but I couldn't find a red one at the nursery so I settled on a pink one. Bad mistake, it was a Tasmanian blue gum, one of Australia's tallest trees. I planted it near the side fence where I could watch it grow as I looked out of my kitchen window.

And grow it did, like Jack's beanstalk. Underneath its roots was the main sewer line that ran through the backyards of neighbours houses. Inevitably it caused blockages as its roots invaded the line, so it had to be taken out.

I now have a red one on the nature strip in front of the house but it is suffering from the same clay soil that caused problems for Dad.

O well, at least I tried. :rolleyes:
They can be grown in pots.

Taken from thespruce.com
Eucalyptus plants are often grown in containers outside of their hardiness zones.
Growing eucalyptus in pots allows gardeners to protect their plants from the cold by bringing them indoors. However, many gardeners treat container eucalyptus plants as annuals, starting with new plants each year because of their rapid growth rate. This allows them to remain manageable as houseplants and on balconies and decks.
These plants don’t like their roots to be disturbed. So it’s best to start with a large container to avoid having to repot.
A 5-gallon container is a good size. And while unglazed clay is an ideal material to allow excess moisture to evaporate through its walls, you might want a plastic container that’s lighter to move around.
Just make sure any container has ample drainage holes, and use a quality fast-draining potting mix.
Feed with Native Plant Fertiliser

Absolutely gorgeous.
Flowers up close

IMG-2184-1.jpg

Back