Skydiving "or" Who Would Jump Out Of A Perfectly Good Airplane?

When I went to flight school in the Air Force for Flight Nurses Training, we had to jump from a high tower and it was like being on a zip line. Scary as you feel as though you are in free fall, then the chute opens about half way down. We were taught to land. Thankfully, with all my flights, it never came to that. Close just once, but we were able to land safely. More or less.

Does it seem that many of our daughters are more adventurous than our sons?
My son was a rescue swimmer when he was in the Navy, but my daughter loves the wild stuff even more. My son did participate in two rescues off the USS Kennedy and one of them was a rough one at night in heavy seas when a fighter jet went down in the Eastern Med.
No doubt, women are more determined in anything we set our mind to do. I have 2 brothers and they kept nagging me on things I shouldn't have done. Too late.. bros Done it and survived!!! Seriously, I'm one of those risk takers in life, I'd regret things I didn't do than those I did which I enjoyed immensely.

In September,1979,my mom`s husband decided to skydive. First time. His chute did not open and his reserve chute got tangled with the first one so he free-fell. He was 2,800 feet up. Turned everything from his L-5 down to dust.Spine,legs, ankles etc. Somehow survived-he was 54 at the time. My mom was filming the jump,but none of us have ever viewed the tape. After 9 months in the hospital,he came home,but was rehospitalized many,many times with various complications. My mom became his caregiver,along with her fulltime job. She divorced him 10 years later-had actually divorced him before his accident but then remarried him shortly before the accident. He was an alcoholic and was becoming increasingly violent.Couldn`t walk,so he would throw things at her....things like beer mugs:oops:. Anyway,his whole experience made me scratch that experience off my list.

We jumped in the Marines at Camp Lejeune before they switched the Recon battalions to California. All that I remember is that it was a weird feeling. I kept my eyes closed for the first maybe 5-10 seconds. It seemed to take forever to land. I met a fellow Marine while in Boot Camp and he was telling me about hang gliding. It was actually a new sport back then. It sounded really good and a lot of fun. Around here, there is no place to go to try it, so I always thought about trying it when I went out to California, but I never had the opportunity.

The platform you stand on to work is called a stage.
In my day, you pulled yourself up with ropes and pulleys, there were no back or front rails.
You dangle!

Did it once, 300 feet in the air no more! -

Back