Slow dance songs...aahhh, the memories :)

1960. Friday night junior high school dances at the YMCA.

All I wanted out of life was for a handsome young man named Wayne to ask me to dance, ideally when Paul Anka's "Put Your Head on my Shoulder" was playing. I'd put my head on his shoulder and maybe caress his golden duck-tail hairdo. Ahhhhh…..he was a hunk. Everyone in the Y gym would look at us with jealousy. I would be the envy of all the other girls.

Screeeeeech BAM!…...that was the sound of my dreams crashing into a brick wall. Never gonna happen. Never. He was the school heartthrob. I was a glasses-wearing kinky-haired dork. A few couples danced......the ones "going steady". As for the rest of us? The girls danced the fast dances with the other girls. The boys stood around the walls and sneered. If he HAD ever asked me to dance, I probably would have fainted dead away or peed my pants.

I still love that song, though. Every time I hear it on the oldies station, I see him, Brylcreamed-hair glistening in the overhead lights....ignoring me once again. I'd still be waiting for that dance, but he's dead. Bummer.

Back