Smilies when to use them?

Mike

The ones at the bottom right of the posted replies window,
under "Like", there is love, laugh, etc., etc.

Is like one reply from a person enough, or do I keep liking
every reply? If so there will be lots of "Likes", for the same
subject and if I read a thread a day or two after it was put
up, all the likes become a bit tiring, for these old fingers!

Mike.

Is like one reply from a person enough, or do I keep liking
every reply? If so there will be lots of "Likes", for the same
subject and if I read a thread a day or two after it was put
up, all the likes become a bit tiring, for these old fingers!
It's completely up to you, some members like to "like" many posts, some only "like" posts that they really like, some don't "like" any posts. I usually only "like" exceptional posts because there are so many good ones.

Thank you for your replies, I understand why they are
there and when to use them, but maybe I posed the
question wrong, If there are a lot of replies from the
same 2 or 3 people, is it expected to like every reply,
or would one be acceptable?

Mike.

Thank you for your replies, I understand why they are
there and when to use them, but maybe I posed the
question wrong, If there are a lot of replies from the
same 2 or 3 people, is it expected to like every reply,
or would one be acceptable?

Mike.
@Mike, I think it's really up to you and what you're comfortable with.

I typically will like/love/smile single posts. If someone is replying to another poster (quoting them), and If I like what they've posted, I will hit the like button, but if they're going back and forth, like a conversation, I might move on. Does that make sense?

When I first started communicating with electronic text I typed pretty much what I would say if I was verbally communicating with someone. I found that many times during an electronic text conversation what I was communicating was misconstrued because of the lack of body language and tone of voice . When appropriate I use the emoticons to fill that void. They beat a blank. When I create a thread I usually like all the replies because they took the time and effort to respond.

Last edited:
Thank you palides for your helpful answer, it is more or less
what I practice now, but I thought that maybe there was a
rule as to how and what to do for best.

oldpop thank you for your reply too, I understand and suffer
the same problems, but I haven't used many smilies to support
my efforts.

Mike.

When I first started communicating with electronic text I typed pretty much what I would say if I was verbally communicating with someone. I found that many times during an electronic text conversation what I was communicating was misconstrued because of the lack of body language and tone of voice . When appropriate I use the emoticons to fill that void. They beat a blank. When I create a thread I usually like all the replies because they took the time and effort to respond.
well aside from the ones where I genuinely want to show an emotion or reaction like laughter to something funny, or sadness for someone's mishaps.. I use emoticons in exactly the same way as you (y)

It's completely up to you, some members like to "like" many posts, some only "like" posts that they really like, some don't "like" any posts. I usually only "like" exceptional posts because there are so many good ones.
Thank you for the changed Love like, much better than the old one in my opinion. I just noticed that. Sometimes you want to give a Love like to a post without a big smiley face. 👍

I think the red angry emoji:mad: should not be one of the 6 choices offered in the post box...not in a "friendly forum". It's harsh and can be misused in a hurtful way and can be viewed as a lack-of-self-control emotion. The sad face:( works when angry.

We don't have an "I care" emoji like a hug🤗 or a flower🌹. In my opinion we should replace the angry emoji with a hug or flowers. If someone says "I'm in pain but some days are better than others" or "My pet died but trying to focus on the time I had with him", I don't want to leave a Like emoji nor a Sad Face. I just want to say "I'm thinking of you and I care".

I think the red angry emoji:mad: should not be one of the 6 choices offered in the post box...not in a "friendly forum". It's harsh and can be misused in a hurtful way and can be viewed as a lack-of-self-control emotion. The sad face:( works when angry.

We don't have an "I care" emoji like a hug🤗 or a flower🌹. In my opinion we should replace the angry emoji with a hug or flowers. If someone says "I'm in pain but some days are better than others" or "My pet died but trying to focus on the time I had with him", I don't want to leave a Like emoji nor a Sad Face. I just want to say "I'm thinking of you and I care".
I agree, @Lara. Sometimes I just go to the top of the post and grab an emoji from there, like a flower. We really don't have to use the ones at the bottom of the post, but they are handy. I like the hug emoji!🤗

I agree with @Lara. The angry emoji is confusing.

When I’ve gone to use this lately I’m not sure of the meaning it sends.
Am I angry at your comment because I disagree with it and think it was very wrong.
Or has the comment made me angry because it was about something that I think is horrid and therefore I am upset/angry like you are.

Perhaps it could be replaced with a thumbs down (👎) to show disagreement. Or with a positive Caring emoji.

@Matrix These are just suggestions and JMO.

Back