So far since my darling passed.....

AZ Jim

R.I.P. With Us In Spirit Only
I have mostly eaten frozen foods but, I would like to try a small beef roast, medium rare. I don't know which cut I should purchase and how to season it. Anyone have a surefire recipe that they could post for me? My plan is to slice it and freeze slices for meals later...

if you what a cheaper piece of beef then I say brisket '' for pot roast only - it has a wonderful taste -but needs a long cooking time '
if you want something more expencive but cooks lovely- then I say top side / it will slice easy and good to freeze also ..

if you what a cheaper piece of beef then I say brisket '' for pot roast only - it has a wonderful taste -but needs a long cooking time '
if you want something more expencive but cooks lovely- then I say top side / it will slice easy and good to freeze also ..
Thank you...

I haven`t had a good oven roast beef since my mom made them lol. Seems like they are always tough when I make them. I have much better results when I cook them in the crockpot. But what your`re looking for would be a cross rib roast or maybe a sirloin. Oh wait-an Eye of the Round roast. Let me find the instructions on how to cook it perfectly. Be right back.....

Here it is. I have made this a couple of times and taught my son how to do it. It really comes out good. Just be sure to follow the directions exactly.....http://www.kitchme.com/recipes/melt-in-your-mouth-eye-of-round-beef-roast

Hint - wrap the meat in alfoil for the first hour in the oven. This keeps the juices in. Then open up to promote browning of the surface. Cook slowly and if you are going to slice and heat later, stop when the meat is still a bit rare.

Jim--the secret to a good roast beef is to buy a nicely marbled, choice piece of meat. Buy at least 3 pounds so that it won't be dry when roasted. Preheat the oven to about 450 degrees, place the roast on a pan with a rack, and into the oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 350 and cook the roast for about 20-25 minutes per pound. I have success with a rump roast that has a nice amount of fat. You might want to invest in a good meat thermometer so you can easily tell how done the meat is.

If you feel like splurging, have the butcher cut a nice prime rib roast.

I put into my small slow cooker (1-1/2 qt), in this order:

4 small red potatoes, quartered
2 handfuls of baby carrots
A 1 to 1-1/2 pound beef roast (some marbling, for better flavor) - cut in half or thirds if that fits better into the smaller cooker.
In a bowl, stir one package of dried "beefy" onion soup mix into one can of beef broth; pour over all.

Set to high for 5 hours, or low for 8 hours

Voila! After I eat some of it and it cools down, then I

Pour most of the beef broth into freezer containers leaving 1 inch "head room" (I store equal numbers of containers of broth and meat -- and sometimes I like the broth for just steaming vegs by themselves too.)
Cut the roast into about 4-oz sizes and put into freezer containers with a little of the broth
When broth and meat containers have cooled down, I pop them into the freezer.

I usually get 4 extra meals from this; all I do is microwave and add broth-steamed vegs for later meals.

I don't freeze the vegs I didn't eat from the first cooking 'cause they get too grainy, so what I do is mix them with a little more broth and microwave the next day.

Last edited:
I buy chuck roast so can't help too much on that one.

Chuck roast..buy it and cut it in half... freeze half.. cook the other half low and slow..250* about 3 hours.

Jim--the secret to a good roast beef is to buy a nicely marbled, choice piece of meat. Buy at least 3 pounds so that it won't be dry when roasted. Preheat the oven to about 450 degrees, place the roast on a pan with a rack, and into the oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 350 and cook the roast for about 20-25 minutes per pound. I have success with a rump roast that has a nice amount of fat. You might want to invest in a good meat thermometer so you can easily tell how done the meat is.

If you feel like splurging, have the butcher cut a nice prime rib roast.
This is the best method I have found. Been using it for years!

I’m no cook, and that’s no fooling. But, I really like it when my wife makes a loin or rib roast in the slow cooker overnight. He adds some spices, which I can’t help you with, but I also like it when she puts in some carrots and potatoes with it. For whatever reason, it tastes better in the winter.

Back