So I'm watching TV, and the people are

Well, there are quite a few people out there that make a lot of money. Have a family friend that makes around 5 mil a year! Have a grandson that's 28 and makes 300 grand a year - paid 1/2 down on his first house. So, if you are into computers with a computer science degree and are truly gifted in IT, there's where the money is; you can write your own career ticket, as well as "doctoring" and business management of course.

There are lots of multi-million dollar homes that never have mortages. Talk to the real estate agents. And lets not forget these folks are probaby paying 30 grand and up for yearly property taxes. There's a lot of cold hard cash money being earned out there right now.

if you are into computers with a computer science degree and are truly gifted in IT, there's where the money is

I AGREE! Computers are the future, people that work in the industry make a lot of money. I tried to get my grandson to get interested in computers, even bought him a coding book. In one ear and out the other, very disappointing. I hope he does good somehow, someway, but I worry about him.

I AGREE! Computers are the future, people that work in the industry make a lot of money. I tried to get my grandson to get interested in computers, even bought him a coding book. In one ear and out the other, very disappointing. I hope he does good somehow, someway, but I worry about him.
Told grandson, when all the big guys were courting him with offers..."don't go to work at the G-Spot...any company that gives you milk and cereal wants you to practically live there."

He didn't go there...lol.

You know, I was thinking...is your grandson mechanically inclined at all? A friend has a son that wasn't computer inclined, but wound up working for Toyota in the Robotic's area. He has excelled rapidly. Robotics are big and are slated to get much, much bigger. Humans are needed to run the robotics. Skilled humans.

You know, I was thinking...is your grandson mechanically inclined at all? A friend has a son that wasn't computer inclined, but wound up working for Toyota in the Robotic's area. He has excelled rapidly. Robotics are big and are slated to get much, much bigger. Humans are needed to run the robotics. Skilled humans.
I agree about robotics, not only the mechanical ones but also IA. I own a few stocks in that category, they're the portal to the future.

Re my grandson, he's handsome and charming and tall and lean, but seems to have no ambition at ALL. When he was born I deposited $6000 in a stock account (in my name) for him, thinking it would grow and he could use the money for college or his own business or even as a deposit to buy a house. He's not getting a dime until he wants one of those 3 things and I will personally make the payment. If I give him the money he will blow it before I say ''Make a wise choice''. He just turned 18 last month, so we'll see if he grows up in the next few years.

I agree about robotics, not only the mechanical ones but also IA. I own a few stocks in that category, they're the portal to the future.

Re my grandson, he's handsome and charming and tall and lean, but seems to have no ambition at ALL. When he was born I deposited $6000 in a stock account (in my name) for him, thinking it would grow and he could use the money for college or his own business or even as a deposit to buy a house. He's not getting a dime until he wants one of those 3 things and I will personally make the payment. If I give him the money he will blow it before I say ''Make a wise choice''. He just turned 18 last month, so we'll see if he grows up in the next few years.
Funny you should say that...youngest grandson is 21 and just flunked out of college. He is working , and wants to live at home and "move to LA" next year. Ask only son (who owns a software company) about inheritance and he said - forget it, 2 kids don't need the money and the other 2 don't deserve it...lol. Hopefully that will change, you know. Lot of entitlement issues going on these days.

My son is a full partner in one of the countries largest labor law firms with almost 1000 attorneys , although relatively few are full partners .....his wife is a cpa for a famous hedge fund manager and runs the tax dept ....they have an income in the hundreds of thousands

I get 3% back with my CC on gas and I buy my gas at Kroger for an additional discount per gallon. Also I just read ordering from Amazon you don't need to be a Prime member. You can sign up for an Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card that offers 5% back on Amazon and Whole Foods purchases.

I agree that the trades can be a great career choice for young people but often times when you go into business for yourself you stop doing the thing that you love and you start doing the drudge work that you were trying to escape from when you chose a trade.
Think of it. What could be nicer than being your own boss? You could be doing the drudge work for someone else. What is worse than having a domineering boss?

Think of it. What could be nicer than being your own boss? You could be doing the drudge work for someone else. What is worse than having a domineering boss?
That was the main thing we liked about owning our own businesses. Didn't like accounting, so had a bookkeeper - ditto for most other things we didn't like. Found out the business is usually better off if you concentrate on the areas you excel at and hire folks for their expertise, too...and then "let them go", with just occasional monitoring or being available to lend a good ear.

Me, I do poorly at repetition...too creative I guess.

That was the main thing we liked about owning our own businesses. Didn't like accounting, so had a bookkeeper - ditto for most other things we didn't like. Found out the business is usually better off if you concentrate on the areas you excel at and hire folks for their expertise, too...and then "let them go", with just occasional monitoring or being available to lend a good ear.

Me, I do poorly at repetition...too creative I guess.
Hiring other people is the tough part. That was part of my job. Letting people go was even harder.

I worked as a Pediatric Physician and my late husband worked as a Stock Broker. We made a very good salary together especially as he got more experience in his job. We however chose to live sensibly with our money. Our home is nice, but not over the top. We did travel, but we never went overboard. We planned for more travel but that did not happen because he passed away suddenly and pretty unexpected. I am happy that I am financially secure and can provide for my kids and grandchildren and that is what makes me happy now.

Hiring other people is the tough part. That was part of my job. Letting people go was even harder.
It was incredibly easy for us to hire people. Seemed like the right folks were always showing up for the right jobs. In all the years we were in business, we only had to let a few people go, and that was for the on the job issues, not scale down. We often talked about that fact.

We put everything over $50 on a rewards credit card, payoff at the end of the cycle.Have phones,Amazon and internet auto charged to the card. Use the rewards to pay Amazon charges..
Hey Ken...I've learned to put everything over $8 on my rewards cards. I used to set it at $10 but found out that stores don't mind charging less than $10 in this soon to be cashless society. I've gotten back $534 so far this year.

Back